P89LPC932: ISP with watchdog enabled

Started by Christian Suesskind, July 14, 2003, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Suesskind

I use FlashMagic (Version 1.76) to program the P89LPC932 using the ISP.

As soon as the watchdog of the P89LPC932 is enabled it is not possible to reprogram the flash anymore.

If I select "Start BootROM" (using the Send Break Condition) the device enters the Boot-ROM. But because the watchdog is not fed anymore it will reset within less than 2 seconds.

So is there any solution to use the watchdog and the ISP feature together?
For example a very fast "Start BootROM and disable watchdog" function?

Thanks for your help!

Christian Suesskind

Andy Ayre

This problem only occurs if you enable the Watchdog Safety mode (WDSE bit in UCFG1). When enabled, the watchdog will start after every reset. The ISP code will not feed the watchdog.

Currently the only solution is to not enable the WDSE bit until you are sure you will not need to reprogram the device via ISP.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Don

I disagree.  I have the watchdog enabled without the WDSE bit set and the device will no longer program using FlashMagic.  Disabling the Watchdog via FlashMagic will then allow me to program the chip.  Truly an inconvenience since the code I am developing requires the internal wathdog be enabled.

Andy Ayre

Don - I have forwarded your comment to Philips to see if they can confirm if the WDSE bit is not the cause of the problem.

Christian Suesskind

Hi!

I can confirm that even without WDSE set it is not possible to enter the ISP using FlashMagic.

I also can not disable the watchdog because the function "Start BootROM..." needs so much time that the watchdog resets the device in the meantime.

At the moment the only workaround I have found is to program the watchdog with the longest timeout possible and to use the commandline version of FlashMagic to reset the device configuration and to enter the ISP bootloader by connecting the RxD pin immediately before starting the command.

If there is an easier way I really would like to know!

Thanks in advance!

Christian Suesskind

Ray Abram

Another aproach is to write you own ISP programmer, and then you can makeup for all the Deficiencies present in flash magic.

I have successfully written an ISP programmer in LabVIEW as part of an ATE (Automated Test Equiptment) i am writing for our companies product

Andy Ayre

Hi Ray,

What other problems have you experiences besides the watchdog that have not been solved?

Octavio

Hi everybody  

I want to learn how to program the P89LPC932.  
Could you recommend one software to start and one site when I can go to download?  

thank you for helpAndrew Ayre wrote:

Andy Ayre

Get the Keil MCB900 board, which comes with a special version of the Keil compiler for the LPC9xx (http://www.keil.com/lpc/lpc900_studio.htm). You can program an LPC9xx with Flash Magic (this site), which is free.