ISP for above 64K

Started by mcnally, June 22, 2005, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcnally

Hi,
         I am using P89C51RD2 which is having code memory of 64K (on chip).Can I use falsh Magic if my code size exceeds 64K for programming external flash memory??.

Regards,

McNally.

Andy Ayre

External flash is not supported, however the P89C669 which has 96K of on-chip flash is supported.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

mcnally

Dear Andrew Ayre ,
                                ThankQ for the suggestion you have made.I did that.I am using 11.0592 crystal in the previous board and 89C51RD2BA was working fine with that. Simply i changed the controller P89C669FA.I could not download any thing into it.What could be the problem??Should I do any thing other than this.I did all the debugging procedure what it has mentioned in the http://www.esacademy.com/software/flashmagic/appnotes/ISPProblemsAppNote.pdf site.I am getting reponce for the c51RD2 but for 89C669 i am not getting anything. Hope you will suggest .

Warm Regards,
McNally.

Andy Ayre

Did you check the 669 was pin-compatible with the RD2xx? Are you selecting the 669 in Flash Magic? What tests did you perform and what where the outcomes?

mcnally

Dear Anderw,
                       THankQ very much for the fast responce.Both are pin compatible .Yes i am selecting 669 as  the device place.I kept RD2 in the PLCC socket and PSEN is connected to GND.In flash magic in Tools menu there is Terminal sub menu ,I opened it and COM port and Baud rate is set ,and Pressed OK button,power is ON.

1.What ever i typed in Input box is appear in the Out put box.

2.After that I read Device signature from the ISP menu.It is comming correctly,Manufacturere ID as 15,Device ID 1 as 0xC2,Device ID 2 as 0x82.

3.I read Boot vetor and Status Byte.Boot vetor as 0xFC and status byte as 0x00 those are also comming correctly for RD2.

After that i kept 669 ,i am not getting any thing.

Warm Regards,
McNally.

Andy Ayre

I've passed your problem on to Philips who will look into it and see what might be different.

mcnally

Dear Andrew,
                       I just checked the RST pin. I kept one 47K resistor across RST pin and ground .In previous ckt only a capacitor was there but resistor is not there, still it is working for P89c51RD2BA.Now it is working. The reason for this is, it is not resetting properly .I placed 47K and observed the  fall time as750 ms. Now it is working properly.
                    Thanks a lot for your response .

Warm Regards,
 McNally.

Andy Ayre

Thanks for posting the solution - we appreciate that!

erikm

Once more somebody got caught using RC reset instead of a proper supervisor.
McNally, I suggest you add a proper supervisor, there are 100s of stories of lost flash due to RC reset.

Erik