Main Menu

With the RD2BA

Started by Gautam Morey, September 23, 2003, 12:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gautam Morey

Hi,
I have now become a regular user of FlashMagic for my RD+ and HBA programming so much so that my company never thought of fixing the old parallel programmer!!
Now for the current problem..
It has now become impossible to re-program the RD2BA.This is happenning with all my RD2BA chips.With reference to my earlier post for the same problem I can now conclude that most of the chips that I was trying to program were'nt blank ie they had come in for re-programming.
So this time when I started with a fresh chip it entered the ISP mode w/o any hassle.But when I tried to program it once more the usual error msg abt the PC not being able to communicate popped up (and has been ever since!)
Please take my word for the fact that I have looked into all possible settings that are reqd. I have even tried to reprogram the boot vector on a parallel prog.The programmer shows a successful reprogram but it does'nt work.And just to make sure, I repeat everything I try out with the HBA succesfully.
so anybody offering a soln. could move on from this point.I have observed that most ques. for the BA go unanswered here.I hope that does not happen with this problem of mine.So I would suggest to try out this problem with a fresh BA chip.
Thanks for reading all the way,
Gautam

erik malund

"It has now become impossible to re-program the RD2BA."
"The programmer shows a successful reprogram but it does'nt work"

I have NEVER heard of a chip programmed and verified in a parallel programmer that did not work DUE TO NOT BEING PROGRAMMED.  (I wish esac would make this HTML).  I will bet you 10 to 1 that your problem is not in the programming.

Erik

Andy Ayre

Note that the RD2BA defaults to 12 clocks/cycle unless you program it via ISP after each erase to 6 clocks/cycle. The RD2HBA defaults to 6 clocks/cycle and is only programmed to 12 clocks/cycle once, via a parallel programmer.

If you are using the high speed communications option in Flash Magic, you must select the correct number of clocks/cycle for the device you are using, so if you are switching between these two devices, both using the default configuration, then you need to change the high speed communications setting in Flash Magic.

Also, if you have high speed communications turned on, try turning it off and see what happens.

If you are using different crystal frequencies, or the same crystal frequency but both devices are using the default clocks/cycle settings, then the highest baud rate you can use may be different for the devices as they are operating as different speeds. So try lowering the baud rate also.

If a brand new, unused device enters ISP mode, but won't enter ISP mode again after be programmed once, this is usually an indication that the hardware conditions for ISP entry are not being met. From the factory, devices have the status byte set to a non-zero value, resulting in them entering ISP mode on reset regardless of the hardware entry conditions. It is only after programming the device for the first time and you try to get back into ISP mode that you really test your hardware entry method.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Gautam Morey

Hi Andy,
 I am not using the hi-speed comm option at all.Abt the h/w.... it is the same one I continue to use for HBA and RD+
If there is something more specific that needs to be tried at the h/w level I'll give it a try.But again , I have also tried putting a RC combination as recomended in the errata sheet and it made no diff. to the BA.

I think Erik u kind of mistook the post.Read this again
"I have even tried to reprogram the boot vector on a parallel prog.The programmer shows a successful reprogram but it does'nt work."
This meant that eventhough the parallel progr. "showed" a successful reprogram OF THE BOOT VECTOR, the chips didn't enter ISP mode when put into my ISP h/w. Please redirect ur ridicule to something less important to this forum.

Andy Ayre

Using your parallel programmer, set the Boot Vector to FCH and the Status Byte to FFH. This is how the device came from the factory.
Place the device back in your hardware. Power up.
Open a terminal program on your PC such as Hyperterminal. Use, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control, 9600 baud.
Send a single 'U' (not 'u'). Is it echoed back?

If the 'U' is echoed back then the problem lies with Flash Magic for some reason - let me know.

If the 'U' is not echoed back then you have either a hardware problem, non-functional device, serial cable problem or COM Port problem. If you have successfully programmed the device once via ISP, then that proves the COM Port, serial cable and hardware are working.

There are more detailed ISP debugging steps in the application note on the Flash Magic web page.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

erik malund

Please redirect ur ridicule to something less important to this forum.
Ridicule????

Erik

PS 'ur' instead of 'your' is ridiculous