ISP_ICP bridge

Started by game1234, December 05, 2005, 09:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

game1234

I am using the MCB900 Board Rev 4 with P89LPC935 to program my application board which has P89LPC931. I followed the schematic and instructions given in Appnote AN10258 . I was able to go to step where the P2.3 LED glow. After this when i try to read the Device signature i am getting all FFs. I am reading  at a speed of 19200 Baud .

Thanks

Andy Ayre

All FFHs returned means the ICP isn't working. Double-check the connections between the bridge and the target. Check with a scope.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

game1234

Hi Andrew and all

I checked with a scope . I could see the clock signal and the data in the scope when i  read the device signature . I checked the connection . nothing wrong with it. But still i am getting FFs. Can anyone help me with this. I am not able to move forward with my project.

Andy Ayre

I'm not sure what to suggest next. Perhaps try contacting Philips technical support or your local Philips FAE. Sorry...

game1234

Hi Andy

I was able to read the device code. After that when i programmed the HEX file and checked the CRC . The block 0 of the Device CRC matches the HEX file CRC. But Block 7 and All memory does not match . But my code somewhat works.Is it ok? .

Thanks

Andy Ayre

The bootloader lives in block 7. Unless you included the hex file for it in the CRC calculation, it won't match for that block and the device as a whole.

vital4all

Check your power supply.

I also faced same problem of getting all FFs. Intitially I used a 5V/1A SMPS, where problem was more frequent. i.e. 8/10 times I was getting FFs. Then I changed to a linear PSU of 5V/500mA. The problem reduced to 2/10. (Current rating  is not ciritical.)

I also noticed that  it works best, if I hold eliminator PIN tight and perform  read signature / program the device.I now need to change the PIN of PSU and the socket on MCB board, and install matching pair with good contacts.

hope this helps.Andrew Ayre wrote:

Hitesh

microjoe

Hi game1234,
You say you got it working, how? Any suggestions would be very useful.

I have a similar problem. I managed to program some chips the other day and the code ran. I upgraded the programmer (MCB900) with the latest hex code and used the latest version of Flashmagic and now I can't read the chip ID's or reprogram them. Note that these devices are mounted on a small pcb and I have a programming header that connects to the MCB900. I have double and treble checked the connection and scoped all signals.

They will still run the old code though.

I've reverted back to 2.07 and prog90x and still no luck. All the signals appear on the pins but there is no response from the chip. The reset sequence times are OK.

I've had problems in the past with checksums but this may have been version 2.4 causing problems. So I ended up using 2.07 as supplied with the MCB900.

So I soldered a new device directly to the header on the MCB900. I could read the device ID, erase the device but it would stop prgramming the device near the end and give a communications error.

Any ideas, pointers, things to check because I'm right out of ideas

Regards
Joe

ezra

Hi Hitesh,

I modify the MCB900 as ICP programmer.
I have same problem of getting all FFs. I following your idea.
I changed the power supply with the battery. 4 x 1.5V NiMH 2500mA = 6VDC.
And I used the switch to power on/off .
9/10 times I was getting FFs.

Please help me.

Regards,
Ezra

Andy Ayre

Check the voltages on all pins are what they should be. Check the connections are good between the bridge and the target microcontroller - perhaps you have a lose connection somewhere?

vital4all

Hello Ezra,

I am using ICP-ISP bridge code v16. I hope you are using same. I am using LPC932 on MCB900 to hold the bridge.

My T1 & T2 are 100msec.

In VDD circuit of ICP-method, if you use one npn Tr then Vdd drops below 2.7v (3.3-0.65). Brownout protection becomes active as all fresh chips are brown-out enabled. You need to use npn-pnp pair, so voltage remains near 3.1V. Or you can use MOS-Tr, if you know the technique.

I have MCB900v4 PCB. Circuit attached. Circuit slighly differs from PCB V1 to V4. Although 6VDC should be OK, MCB900 behaviour is TYPICAL. I am using 5V regulated Linear PSU for powering up through jack. But its better to use give power through 2pin relimate connector marked VIN near 9pin connector.

Also check version of LPC9xx you are trying to program, as some of them support only ISP!, I read somewhere.

I hope this helps.

With warm regards.

Yours truly,
Hitesh Mahant
www.vital4all.com

PROGRESS of your life depends only on SIZE and QUALITY of your Goals. And the secret of success achieving them is "How discipliend YOU ARE".

erikm

if you use one npn Tr then Vdd drops below 2.7v

Someone WHINES "I did not folloow the instructions, how come it does not work" This stupid issue comes up in every forum about once a week.

If you can not follow instructions, whine in private, why make the world know.

Erik

erik

ezra

Hello Hitesh,

Thanks a lot.
I am using LPC935 on MCB900. I'm using ISP ICP bridge source code V1.2.
I'm beginning so please describe about 'My T1 & T2 are 100msec'. Where am I   change this T1 & T2?

I want to program the LPC908 was installed on board. This LPC908 was
disabled brownout.

Best regards,
Ezra

ezra

Thanks Andy,

I have check all connection is OK. But I still getting all FFs.
I have repeated to power on and off. 9/10 times I was getting FFs.

Why is it so difficult? Please help me.

Best regards,
Ezra