89LV51, trigger bootloader from app? (need more infos)

Started by Bonny Gijzen, April 06, 2006, 06:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonny Gijzen

Hi,

I am trying to find more detailed info about the P89LV51 mcu.

The builtin bootloader can be started by using a hardware method, but I want to be able to start it from within my main application.

To do that I need some infos which I am not able to find:

- Where exactly is the orig bootloader located
- Is it possible to execute it by "jumping" to it?
- What about bootvector registers or statusbytes?

I hope you can give me some more informations.

Regards,
Bonny

Jan Waclawek

> Where exactly is the orig bootloader located

In the boot block, block1, 8kB of Flash located at 0-1FFFh and accesses by the '51 core depending on BSEL(FCF.0)and SWR(FCF.1) bits. But you should (forgive me) RTFM first - this is chapter 7.1.1.
The bootloader itself (including IAP support) occupies the first 2kB of the boot block, plus some space at the top (IAP jump vector, security key and some other data)

> Is it possible to execute it by "jumping" to it?

Yes, why not. Place a code above 2000h, which switches to Block1 (clear both BSEL and SWR) and jumps to 0000h. Note that by this time transmission of the 'U' character for autobauding should have started, otherwise the bootloader will restart into the application code within the watchdog timeout.

> What about bootvector registers or statusbytes?

None of them (of course - have you seen them in the manual?) But there are two things of a similar kind, affecting the behaviour of bootloader, the security key ("serial number" as they call it in the datasheet), and the SoftICE mode flag. This is in addition to two "hardware" bits, the security lock bit and the x2 mode bit.
For details, again, refer to the datasheet.

Jan Waclawek

Bonny Gijzen

@Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

I dont like your attitude at all. Ofcourse I read the manual, and I have found all info I need already.

It is just that when I am searching for infos, I don't like to waste much time, so I put outstanding queries as much as I can, on different fora and groups.

So if you dont like to answer questions like these, then simply don't!

Rgs Bonny

Jan Waclawek

Bonny,

> Ofcourse I read the manual, and I have found all info I need already.

Then what was the purpose of posting the question here? And, if you found out the answers you needed already, why didn't you post those here, or at least a note saying you don't need us to answer your questions any more?

> It is just that when I am searching for infos, I don't like to waste much time,
> so I put outstanding queries as much as I can, on different fora and groups.

That's great. You don't want to waste YOUR time, so you don't hesitate to ask others to waste THEIR time; and when they DO so, PLUS point out you might have found the information yourself with a little effort, you feel offended.

Next time, please, consider the value of time of the participants in these fora to be of the same value as your own time and post your requests accordingly. Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Jan Waclawek.

Andy Ayre

FYI I asked Philips to provide some information for this thread and was waiting to hear back. I will cancel that request...

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Bonny Gijzen

If, at some point in time, I dont have an answer to a question/problem, I will ask that question anywhere I like.

And I won't sit and wait on that 1 question, because very often you don't get an answer at all. So I the meantime I continue my search, on internet, in datasheets....

At some point, I either find the solution myself (internet or datasheets) or it is answered to me on some forum.

In this case, I posted the question in the afternoon, and the next morning I found the solution in the datasheet, so I got back here and noticed I got flamed.

You have no right to flame anybody!
(And that relates to the "RTFM")

It is you who decide if you want to spend time on some question/issue or not, so dont flame people if they find the answer sooner than the read back here.

Change your attitude, thats all.

Bonny

erikm

It is just that when I am searching for infos, I don't like to waste much time, so I put outstanding queries as much as I can, on different fora and groups.

Yes, and the you expect unpaid help from somebody that may not "have the time" but takes it out of his/her schedule to help you.

You have no right to flame anybody!
(And that relates to the "RTFM")
RTFM is perfectly legal advice to those that are too lazy (and use the euphemism "do not have the time") to read the manual.

And YOU have no "right" to post that your little feelings have got hurt, if you do not "have the time" why the h... should someone else have it?

Change your attitude, thats all.
I suggest YOU do that

UNPAID help does not allow you to be critical of its form

Erik
erik