89lpc932 does not execute

Started by neel, April 30, 2003, 11:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neel

I am using 89lpc932 for a particular project of mine.....the controller is going into ISP mode and is being programmed...however the code is not being executed. The code i have loaded at present is a very simple one...just to make a particular pin go high and low.
Also initially i had used Flash magic ver1.7 to program another 89lpc932....and at that time i had not loaded the "break detect" code...and since my IC is a 'C' version it does not suppport a hardware entry to ISP mode....is that IC now completely useless or is there any way to recover it?

Live and Let Die

Andy Ayre

Are you using an external crystal or the internal RC oscillator? If you are using an external crystal you must configure UCFG1 for the correct crystal frequency - which you can do in Flash Magic by choosing Device Configuration from the ISP menu.
If you are not using the internal RC oscillator, try using it and see if that helps.

If you need help with setting up your oscillator, go to

www.codearchitect.org/philips

and you will find a tool to generate the oscillator code for your setup.

Finally, have you make sure you are not short-circuiting the RxD pin to ground? That is the same as a break condition and will place the device back into ISP mode again.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

neel

i am using an external crystal....and did configure the device acc....i chose the 4-12Mhz option..however the next time i checked the option it showed it to be an internal osc of arounf 7 Mhz...does flash magic change these settings on it's own....i reset it 12Mhz.....i'll check the RxD pin tomm...though am pretty sure it's not grounded...could there be any other reason for it not executing??
i'll try the internal osc option tomm as well...thanx for helping out.

Post Edited (04-30-03 11:50)
Live and Let Die

Andy Ayre

Are you using the Keil MCB900 board? If so it may not have the surface mount capacitors for the external crystal on it. If that is the case then you will need to solder some caps on there. I think 22pF - 33pF should do the trick.

Flash Magic does not change the device configuration by itself. Double-check that it is still set to how you left it. If not then something weird is going on with the device as UCFG1 should not change on it's own. It could be that maybe the device for some reason is not programming UCFG1.

If you forget to program the code in to detect the break condition, then the only means of recovery I believe is to use a parallel programmer. Versions of the LPC932 E, F and later have a hardware method to enter ISP mode using pulses on the RST pin, and so can always be recovered with the necessary hardware (assuming the Boot Vector was not changed).

Roland

I am in the same trouble with the 89LP932...

I have done my own board design and wanted to
use the hardware isp entry method via pulsing the
RST pin. By testing my board i had to learn that
my revison C chip does not support this feature.

The break detect method is working but you are
not allowed to do any mistake. Only one error and
your chip is lost. Thats not acceptable.

The recovery via parallel programmer is no solution
for chips in an TSSOP package. An other disadvantage
is, that the parallel programming method for the 89lpc..
is a secret. You get no information about that. I have
got the answer from phillips that i have to buy a parallel
programmer...

I am very disappointed about the fact that phillips sells
me chips which are not fully functional.

Roland

Bauke

Hi,

The 3-pulse ISP entry on the LCP932 will be fixed in later revisions. For the Rev C the only option is to do the ISP entry in software by either enabling the UART break detect or by jumping to the Bootvector at 1E00h.
If there is no code a parallel programmer will have to be used to reprogram the status bit so that the part will go into ISP mode.
For later revisions the 3-pulse entry can be used.
The manual for the MCB900 shows how to implement the 3-pulse logic for the LPC932
http://www.keil.com/mcb900/

Regards,

Bauke

neel

am having big probs with the 89lpc...i have the C ver and i had enabled the break detect in the code...it seemed to be working initially....i was able to reprog quite a few times yesterday...however the chip did not execute the code.....and today it's not even going into the ISP mode again.
Live and Let Die

Andy Ayre

Did you read Flash Magic application note 4? Please follow the steps in there to narrow down where the problem might be. Thanks.

Chin

Hi,

I just using a LPC932 Rev C to do my project and try to do the ISP programming via serial port. It seem didn't work. Any one can provide me the reference hardware design so I can program the chip with Flash magic?

Andy Ayre

I do not have a reference schematic to hand, but the circuit is quite simple. You need to connect RxD and TxD on the LPC932 through an RS-232 transceiver to a female DB9 connector.
You need to connect the power supply to the LPC932
You need to attach an external crystal or clock to the LPC932 if you are using one. No external crystal/clock is required if you are using the on-chip RC oscillator.
You need to attach a reset circuit to the RST pin if you are using one, otherwise no reset circuit is required if you are using the on-chip reset circuit.

The first time you power up a brand new LPC932 it will automatically enter ISP mode and Flash Magic should be able to communicate with it straight away. A baud rate of around 9600 will probably work the best. Note that if you try different baud rates you must reset the device (or remove and reapply power) each time.

***You must program in code to enable the break detect feature of the device in order to get back into ISP mode***

Chin

Hi Andy,

I still can't program the LPC932 follow your instruction. I have try few new LPC932. No one can be communicate with the Flash Magic. I'm connect my hardware to the serial port via MAX232. Then running the Flash Magic, but the Flash Magic prompted can't communicate with the device. What's wrong of the LPC932? Please help.

Andy Ayre

What happened when you followed the steps in Flash Magic application note 4?

Chin

Still can't. But I have contact philips to help me solve this problem. Thanks for your help.