enter in icp in hot

Started by rbtamd, December 04, 2006, 07:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbtamd

Hi, exists some way to enter to the ICP mode in a system with a MCB900 board with the bridge without cut the power on the board? Can  "start bootloader" do it?

Thanks

Andy Ayre

If you look at the NXP application note on ICP: http://www.esacademy.com/software/flashmagic/resources/AN10258_2.pdf, you will see that the ICP protocol requires control of the target device. So you don't need to cycle power to the bridge (MCB900), but the bridge needs to cycle the power for the target.

The start bootloader feature can only be used with the device that Flash Magic is talking to. In the case of ICP Flash Magic is talking to the bridge, not the target device. ICP is a hardware protocol only.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

rbtamd

Ok, but how flash magic cycles the power of the device in ICP? I mean, have the flash magic a command to do that? Something like "Enter in ICP mode"?

Thanks

Andy Ayre

The connection is: User -> Flash Magic -> Bridge -> ICP enabled target device. Flash Magic doesn't directly control the target, instead it tells the bridge what to do. The bridge then implements the ICP protocol. Therefore the bridge cycles the power to the target device when it is needed.

rbtamd

I'm sorry andy but I cant find the connection you give me. Please can you clarify me?

Thanks

Andy Ayre

I'm not sure I understand the problem... Try reading the application note I mentioned a few posts ago. It describes how you can use ICP with Flash Magic. As far as I know the method described in the application note is the only way to do it. Unless you want to buy a USB-ICP from Future Designs.

Andy

rbtamd

Andy, I have read the application note an10258_2 and I have a MCB900 board modified as ICP programmer. I have seen that in many cases the chip doesn't enter in ICP mode and I want to test to fix it.
Normaly to begin the process I connect the MCB900 connector to the system and turn the power of the MCB900 on. Then I read the device signature. If the signature match with the processor, then I can program it. Else I cycle the power and read the signature again. I like to know if there are a command in the flash magic to try to enter again in the ICP mode without cycle the power.

Thanks

Andy Ayre

No, there isn't such a command. The Bridge has complete control of the target device and I believe cycling the power is necessary.

If the signature you are getting back is all FFs, then that indicates the target device is not being placed into ICP mode. Check the electrical connections. Also make sure you are using the latest bridge code from the Flash Magic web page.

Andy