Programming a LPC915

Started by Louis de Beer, May 30, 2007, 12:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis de Beer

Am I correct to say that a new LPC915 can only be programmed using a MCB900 PCB? Is there any other way to program the device?

Thanks

Je Gold

The LPC915 can not be programmed DIRECTLY with a MCB900 because it does not have ISP bootloader.

You can use a MCB900 (with ICP code in the ICP micro)  +  ICP Bridge circuit  to program the LPC915 (in ICP mode of course).

In the resources pages of Flash magic there are some examples and doc's.

Only  LPC900 parts  20pin and above has ISP.

Joe

Andy Ayre

Or you can buy the USB-ICP programming dongle from Future Designs.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Je Gold

Good idea!    :)

For 1st time users of the LPC900 series .... a profesional ICP tool and a Keil MCB900 is a good start.
http://www.teamfdi.com/products/usb-icp/usb-icp.shtml

I can  you remember the days when tools were $1000s ?

Joe

Louis de Beer

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the FDI dongle from Future Designs. Just a question:
This dongle refer to connections to the PCL and PDA pins and P0.5 and P0.4 respectively. I assume these are the same as the SCL ans SDA on the LPC915 device (Pin 7 and 6), OR must P0.5 and P0.4 (Pin 11 and 12) be used on the LPC915. ???

Je Gold

Answer
--------
The answer lies in AN10258_1 or AN10258_2... in the the document section
"5.Devices that are supported with the ICP programming interface" 

See how all the  ICP pins are shaded in gray and in a specific ICP pin pattern  (except for LPC901,2,3) all other LPC900 devices use this pin patten for ICP.

Why,  it is a little known fact that ICP uses MODE 0 "like" in the traditional  80c51 core  (look up the different modes in the NXP "classic" 80c51 core doc's for more info).

Joe