P89LV51RD2 ISP programming

Started by keithbarr, July 21, 2007, 12:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithbarr

I have the newest version of FlashMagic (3.61.230), and to program the P89LV51RD2 I first have to:

1. Attempt to read the device signature.
2. The tool requests that the device be reset.
3. I reset the device.
4. The tool tells me that the operation failed.
5. I cancel the error message window

Then I can hit 'Start' and the device will begin programming immediately.

If I attempt to simply hit 'Start', withoput the above procedure, the tool will tell me that the 'operation failed (erasing device)', and any subsequent attempts to start programming will give me an hourglass on the app.

This was not the behavior of the earlier software, and I wonder what is wrong...

Je Gold

You only have 400mS to send a 'U' character down the serial (UART) RxD of a P89v51 to put in to programming mode.

Hence some form of simple circuit is need send out a RESET, so Flashmagic can send 'U' character to put the P89v51 in to programming mode.

A good circuit and details for the RESET control is in the Flashmagic user manual  page 48.

Joe

Je Gold

PS..

OH.... You must of missed the  READ ME FIRST  from Andy on this forum

See here
http://forum.flashmagictool.com/index.php?topic=3232.0

Joe

keithbarr

I understand that, running at 6MHz, my processor has what, 800mS in which to respond? Why did the earlier software work fine? My computer HD crashed since I had programmed through ISP to this project board, and during reinstall I now have the latest FlashMagic version. How do I get the old version that actually worked?

Je Gold

You can test if the P89v51 gets in to programming mode without the use of Flashmagic.

-----
Connect P89v51 to your PC running a serial terminal program.....  send (press ) 'U' character and RESET  the P89v51.

If you get 'U' characters echoed back  - then the P89v51 has entered programming mode.
----

ALSO
There was a pervious verision of Flashmaigic that had incorrect timing for the RESET - 'U' Character transmission.

Try a 3 or 4MHz  Xtal  then the RESET to 'U' Character timing will be even longer

Joe

keithbarr

I really appreciate everyone's help... Still, the old version of FlashMagic (I don't know which) worked fine. Question is: Where do I get an older version that works, without the timeout issue.. Or perhaps, one that automatically inquires about the device, requests a reset, responds with the error and automatically presses start for me?

Problem is, I recently tried to encourage some co workers in Asia to use FlashMagic, because it was so easy. Now I have to walk them through the whole tortured process, which really doesn't make sense to them. By the looks of the way my latest version works, a software change is all that's required to fix this!

Jan Waclawek

Quote from: keithbarr on August 02, 2007, 01:31:29 AM
I really appreciate everyone's help... Still, the old version of FlashMagic (I don't know which) worked fine.
Keit,

I think Andy Ayre is the only one who will give you a definitive answer (and he seems to absent from this forum for a week or so so he might be on vacations); but meantime, did you read this recent thread? Isn't this the same problem than you are fighting?

JW

Andy Ayre

Keith, did you uncheck the option to use DTR in the advanced options?

Can you remember the exact version that worked? Or the date that you downloaded the version that worked? There has probably been over 200 versions over the 6 1/2 years that Flash Magic has existed...

I would prefer however to work with you to solve the problem in the current version.

Please contact me via email so we can work on this. Thanks.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Andy Ayre

Keith - please try the latest version and let me know if it solves the problem. Thanks.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com