Start Bootloader

Started by DieBaas, November 25, 2009, 10:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieBaas

I have been start the bootloader on a 938 with the "Start Bootloader - Send Break condition". 7200 baud rate.

1) Is there something that I must add in my code except form AUXR1.6=1. Because if I change something in my code, anything with the interrupts - not related to the UART- I can not get back in to bootloader. I'm using Keil complier.
2) What is the minimum code that i have to include to re-enter the bootloader? 

Andy Ayre

Starting the bootloader has nothing to do with reading flash memory. Please start a new topic for unrelated questions...

You need to enable the break detect and you need to configure the UART, for example 7200 baud.

I wouldn't recommend using the break condition to enter the bootloader because:

- it relies on your firmware executing correctly, at least as far as configuring the UART

- it might be possible to accidentally enter the bootloader if the RxD pin is held low for some reason
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

DieBaas

Ok. That great! What would be the best way to enter the bootloader then. With the DTR & RTS  method?
Would you recommend a USB-ICP Programmer? Correct me if I am wrong... but with a USB-ICP programmer you dont need a bootloader or dont need to use the micros bootloader?

Andy Ayre

I would recommend the USB-ICP interface from Future Designs because it allows access to the entire flash memory, plus uses USB.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com