Flash Magic with EPM900?

Started by scarphin, July 19, 2011, 12:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarphin

Hi,
As the topic implies, is it possible to use 'EMP900' with 'Flash Magic'? If yes, how do I set up FM to use the EPM900. The reason I don't use Keil IDE with EPM900 is that I use SDCC to compile my code and Keil IDE crashes all the time during programming of the hex file. I don't need debugging capabilities just need to program the chip. I do really hope the answer is 'yes'. ;) Thnx...

Andy Ayre

We are not aware of a way to program it with Flash Magic. I think it uses a parallel programming method rather than an on-chip UART-based bootloader.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

scarphin

Thnx for the information. As far as I can tell, it uses serial programming (ISP or ICP) as it uses only 5 lines (PDA, PCL, RST, VDD,and GND). But it doesn't create a com port when connected, remains as a USB device. I guess that's the main reason it's not suitable for FM?

Andy Ayre

You would need to connect those signals to an RS232 transceiver and then to a real COM port and see if you can get it to work. But, as I don't see that functionality documented anywhere you might damage it. I think a quicker and easier solution would be to buy a MCB900 instead, for $63:

http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keil-Tools/MCB900/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtPmQyJtcPg7ajCcxD%252bndM6yMghLZzjbW4%3d

Or you could always contact Keil and ask them why your Keil board doesn't work with your Keil software...

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com