89C51RD2 is not ready to enter in ISP

Started by ketan, January 18, 2004, 03:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK

The AutoISP mode is usable on the RS232 port only.

When particular hardware conditions are met (on RESET and PSEN* pins), the target device starts executing the bootloader program on reset.

AutoISP is the mechanism by which FLIP controls the boot process hardware conditions so that you do not have to manually set them.

To take advantage of this feature, you must design your hardware so that the RS232 / RTS signal is connected to the PSEN* pin and the RS232 / DTR signal is connected to the RESET one.

The AutoIsp mode may be activated through the Preferences dialog.

Andy Ayre

Note that FLIP is for Atmel devices and Flash Magic is for Philips devices.

Control of RST and /PSEN via DTR and RTS can be found under Options -> Advanced Options -> Hardware Config tab.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

sunil khollam

Mr Andrew,
              Please can you tell me what is mean by "Reset hardware in ISP mode" in case of microcontroller 89C51RD2xx. in detail.
  In your email to me you siad about DTR and RTS what is mean by that.Please tell it with most simplicity as I am beginner. I will be pleased if you uide me.Thank you.

Andy Ayre

It means fiddle with the reset and PSEN to place the device into ISP mode. This only applies if you are not using Flash Magic to control DTR and RTS (which are COM port handshaking signals) to in turn control RST and PSEN.

Start by connecting RST and PSEN to switches so you can control placing the device into ISP mode manually. Later on when that is working, if you need to you can build the additional circuitry to use DTR and RTS.

Alcides Moreno

I'm Alcides Moreno and I'm new hier.
to loock at help I find this site. I have to read all message but doon

erikm

I see no relation to FlashMagic in your post, why post here?

Try 8052,com or any other non_ISP forum dealing with the ;51.

Erik

Huibing Yin

Mr Andrew,
    I have designed a circuit that uses p89c51rd2, and the PCB has been made. But now I have only P89v51RD2 , so if I want to use p89v51RD2, need I change any circuit, or just put the P89v51RD2 in the PCB where is for P89C51RD2 originally? I need your advice.

Thank you!

Andy Ayre

The V device has a different ISP entry method so you need to be aware of that. Also the pinout may be different - the only way to tell for sure is to check the datasheets. The AC and DC characteristics may also vary a bit - again the datasheets will tell you that.

Barry Grieves

And the V device will definitely not work with an R/C reset circuit, you must use a reset chip.

y.sivakumar

I need correct circuit to perform hex code flashing using flash magic by using 89v51rd2 microcontroller.
For example , a correct reset circuit or a reset chip design ,so that i can enter into ISP mode.
Let me know details ....

Jan Waclawek

There is nothing special in reset circuit design for entering the bootloader using the "V", it's just the RS232 level convertor only for Tx and Rx - you run FlashMagic set to the "V" device, that will start sending "U"s, then you reset the mcu which waits at the beginning for the "U"s and if it sees them it enters the bootloader mode - and that's all. You don't need to fiddle around with /PSEN as it was with the "C" device.

If this procedure is not suitable, e.g. if there is a continuous serial stream on the UART even while resetting is possible in the final application, the bootloader can also be customized if needed, so that it enters the bootlader mode upon a different condition (e.g. some pin set) - but that needs reprogramming the bootloader.

Jan Waclawek

erikm

I need correct circuit to perform hex code flashing using flash magic by using 89v51rd2 microcontroller.

1) you MUST use a supervisor chip
2) if "non-H" there is a little schenatic in the errata that MUSt be implemented
3) everything else you need is in AN-461

Erik

Jan Waclawek

Erik,

are you sure you are referring to the P89V51RD2?

JW

erikm

The thread is named "89C51RD2 is not ready to enter in ISP", so, of course I am not

Erik