ISP Programmer for 89LPC903

Started by cbhargava, March 17, 2004, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbhargava

Hi,

I'm looking for schematics for serial ISP programmer to program 89LPC903. I found a schematic in Appnote 1 for FlashMagic at http://www.esacademy.com/software/flashmagic/appnotes/ISPHardwareEntryAppNote.pdf

The schematic is at page 5. Has anyone tried it to program P89LPC90x series chips?

Regards.

Chetan

Andy Ayre

The LPC903 does not support ISP, so you can't use the circuit in that application note. Instead you would need to build an ICP programmer.

If you use the MCB900 and PAB9xx as an ISP to ICP bridge then you can still use Flash Magic. You could connect the MCB900 to a header on your target board if you wanted to avoid adding all the ISP to ICP bridge circuitry.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

cbhargava

Thanks for the response Andy. I don't have the MCB900 eval board. I would like to build a programmer from serial / parallel port to program the 89LPC90x devices.

I'm looking for the easiest way to program 89LPC90x devices in circuit.

Regards,

Chetan

cbhargava

It looks like I can program a LPC932 as a bridge between ISP and ICP. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks.

Chetan

Andy Ayre

The problem with using the serial/parallel ports is how to get the precise signal timing required for ICP. As far as I know, the only way you might be able to do it is if you control the port directly from DOS. Windows (NT/2000/XP at least) is not a real time operating system, and does not provide you with a direct connection to the ports, therefore it is hard or maybe impossible to get the amount of control needed.

Programming a device that connects to the serial/parallel port is probably the best solution, and Philips have already implemented it with the ISP to ICP bridge using an LPC932.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Bauke Siderius

Hi,

The LPC90x and LPC91x do not support ISP, but do have ICP. ICP is a 5 wire programming interface built into the hardware of the chips. Unlike ISP ICP does not require a bootloader on the chip to run. But ICP can not be controlled dirrectly by the serial port of the PC. An adapterboard can be used in combination with the EPM900 or MCB900.
The details of the adapterboard are described in:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/various/PAB90x-1%20Getting%20Started%20V1_0.pdf
Soon an application note will be released with details on how to use the ICP programming in an application.

Regards,

Bauke