WInISP works and FlashMagic Doesn't!!

Started by Rafael Collantes, September 06, 2004, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael Collantes

Hi all,

I have been a happy user of FlashMagic for some years. We have used it mainly with the P89c51RC2 chip.

We have started testing a new board with a XAG49 and strangely enough it is impossible to make FlashMagic work with this new chip. My first suspicion was of course the board, but WinISP seems to have no problem dealing with it, and we also get the expected BootROM responses from HyperTerminal.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Best regards,

Rafael

Andy Ayre

Please generate a debug file so I can see what is going on:

Start Flash magic
Press F1 so [Debug] appears at the top
Perform the ISP operations that fail
Close Flash Magic
Email me the file C:\flashmagic.fmd
Delete C:\flashmagic.fmd

Also let me know the crystal frequency you are using and the error message you get from Flash Magic.

My Email address is below and also in the Help About window of Flash Magic.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Rafael Collantes

Amdy,

Thanks for your quick response.

I've tried 32.000. 16.000 and 11.0592 oscillators. All of them work with WinISP and fail with FlashMagic.

I am sending you the debug file by e-mail

Thanks again!

Rafael

Rafael Collantes

After trying to get a response with Hyperterminal I noticed that the respose was ALMOST correct: an 'f' most of the time except a 'v' now and then. Thinking about this, I got the inspiration that maybe the processor was being resetted by the microprocessor supervisor chip. I removed this from the board and now everything works O.K. both WinISP and FlashMagic work.

For some reason WInISP was able to ignore the wrong characters received when the microprocessor was reset and FlashMagic was affected by those.

Thanks for your support and also THANKS for FlashMagic. It's great!

Dave Mitchell

I also have a problem with FlashMagic programming the 89c51rd2.  Sometimes it works but usually it doesn't.  I have changed baud rates and options, but nothing seems to help.  Also, when FlashMagic fails I can use WinIsp to look at the boot vector and the staus byte and the boot vector is ok (0xFC) but the status vector will be (0xFF).  Sometimes FlashMagic will cause a system error and closes.  I have the debug file what is your e-mail address?

Andy Ayre

My email address is support at esacademy dot com. Please include the baud rates you have tried and the crystal frequency you are using. Also have you tried the RC reset workaround on the errata sheet for that device?

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com