Problem to program 89C61X2

Started by Wah, June 16, 2004, 09:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wah

Hi,

When I try to read security bits, Flash Magic has a message "Unable to connect at a specified baud rate. Try reducing the baud rate. Reset the hardware into ISP mode again." I already use the lowest baud rate. Why the MCU cannot be connected? Also, I don't know how to use the "Start Bootrom". Would you explain? Thanks.

Wah

Andy Ayre

Which device are you using? I guess it is the 89V51RD2? If so you need to Email me your schematic diagram, because your other posting makes me think you might have a problem with it.

The Start Bootrom feature is used when you implement your own ISP entry method. For example, if your code has a command line interface you might allow it to accept the command "BOOT" followed by a carriage return to enter ISP mode. By using the Start Bootrom option in Flash Magic, you can send the "BOOT" command or anything else at a baud rate seperate from the ISP baudrate. The Flash Magic manual describes some additional commands you can enter to turn on and off echo, insert delays, etc. So infact you could enter a sequence of commands, a password, etc. with the necessary delays between the commands.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

wah

Hi, Andy

How can I send email to you? I don't know your email. Thanks.

Wah

Andy Ayre

It's at the bottom of every posting I make and also in the Help -> About window of Flash Magic.

Balamurali

May i know what is the exact difference between 89c51RD2 and 89C61X2?

Andy Ayre

The datasheets - available on www.philipsmcu.com can give you every little detail.

Balamurali

Hi andy,

Actually i  worked with P89c51RD2 IAP routines. Now i couldnt able to get that part in our region. So i have switched to P89V51RD2 processor. But in the datasheet the IAP routine call details are that much enough. Can you please post a small code example to erase the address between FF80 and FFFF also i want to program a byte in FFFFh. Please tell me register settings to erase and program. I read the datasheet but its confused. If i call IAP address 1FF0,will the processor executes the instruction in the 1FF1 user program address when the IAP routine completes its execution?

Thanks andy

Andy Ayre

I'm afraid I don't have any examples for that device. Sorry. I've never used the IAP on that part. Maybe someone else reading this can help?

erikm

Can you please post a small code example to erase the address between FF80 and FFFF also i want to program a byte in FFFFh

from the datasheet
The P89V51RD2 program memory consists of a 64 kB block.

one block = erase all or nothing

Erik

Balamurali

Hi erikm,

As you have specifed, the 89v51 datasheet says that we can erase  full 64k program memory with a IAP call. But if i need to write a byte in a specifc address through my program, first i have to erase the data in that particular program memory address then i have to write the data in the specifed memory address. isnt it? As it is like this if i call the erase IAP call then it will erase total user code know, then how my user code will be exist in the progrm memory to write in a address?Please clarify if you find any solution to this.

erikm

first i have to erase the data in that particular program memory address
Which is IMPOSSIBLE with flash.  With flash you must erase a 'page'.

A means of overcoming this is a 'walking write'.  since erased flash always read xff (unless used inverted =0) allocate an area and the valid byte will always be the last one before the 0xff.  If you need to update more than a few times, attach an external FRAM (millions of updates) or serial EPROM (thousands of updates)

Erik

Balamurali

Hi

May i know the IAP call address of  89c51 RC2? I have used FFF0 in 89c51 RD2.

erikm

May i know the IAP call address of 89c51 RC2? I have used FFF0 in 89c51 RD2.
They are both discussed a Rx2.  The ONLY difference is flash size.  The IAP code is not in flash, it is in ROM.

Erik

santhi

I am facing problem in making the 89c61X2 device enter ISP. I have included Erik's backdoor to IAP and that helped in one device. But always the device enters ISP only after activating the port pin and resetting. However the device gets programmed when fresh( factory default). Whenever you select P89C61X2 on Flash Magic a warning is flashed saying " Ensure correct device selection else You may lose ISP functionality and may require a parrallel programmer " and this is what is happening. Can you please help regarding likely fault. Iam using the same setup to progam RD2 devices without any problem.Due to nonavailability of RD2 with my supplier I am forced to change over to X2 now.
Thanks in advance
Santhi

Andy Ayre

That warning is there because if you select the 89C61x2 and you actually have an 89C51Rx2 then you can render the device useless. I'm not aware of any specific problems with the 6Xx2 family. Please go through the application note "What to do when ISP does not work" on the Flash Magic web page.