Programmatic reset of P89V51RD2 in ISP

Started by Mark Moulding, September 21, 2005, 12:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Moulding

I notice that the more recent FlashMagic versions have the ability to reset the 89V51RD2 microcontroller.   I'd like to know the ISP command to accomplish this, since I haven't been able to locate it on the Philips webs site.  (Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it...)

The system I'm producing uses a high-level application running on a PC, with a machine controlled by an 89V51RD2 communicating to the PC via the serial port.  I wrote the ISP download routines into my application to provide the user with field-installable firmware updates, but it would be nice to automatically reset the processor when the download is complete.

I'm sure that a new Intel hex record (or a sub-function within the existing ones) must have been added to the protocol, and this must be what FlashMagic uses.  Anyone know what the command record is?

Thanks!
--
Mark

Jan Waclawek

:0000000BF5

It's right there at the end of ISP commands table... Always download the latest datasheet! (it was missing in datasheet rev.1 but the current is rev.3)

I have prepared also a more complex table containing the ISP and IAP commands for various ISP-able '51 derivatives, maybe it might be of some help: http://www.efton.sk/51comp/rd2comp.htm (the excel original is at the end of the table, you can make an excerpt just for the V51).

Jan Waclawek

leslie

HI !!

I wanna to seek advise on the reset circuity.

Currently, i'm using the 89C52RC2, and i'm using the reset circuit based on the RC circuit which typically give me the 100ms time constant...
but i found unser some circumstances or glitches, it will spoilt the memory location or it accidentally put the MCU in ISP Mode...

Do i have to use the Watchdog chip which i prefer not to... or anyother ways i can avoid this probs !!

erikm

Do i have to use the Watchdog chip which i prefer not to

NO, but you DO need a supervisor chip.

There are many "tripods" out there that provide the reset function without watchdoging.

Erik

Jan Waclawek

> ...tripods...

...such as MAX810 and the uncountable clones of it...

Jan Waclawek

Mark Moulding

Thanks for the prompt reply!  (Actually, as you can see by the date of this message, it wasn't prompt to me, but I guess I needed to explicitly flush my browser's cache in order to see the responses.)

This was exactly what I needed, and I'm now off to incorporate it into my application's built in firmware upgrade function.

Thanks again!

Mark Moulding