Prarllel Programming

Started by Edward Mak, April 05, 2003, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Mak

Hi there,

I'm a MCU hobbyist recently interested in P89PLC932. My first job is to study how to program the chip for my own application.

Question is, why Philips has to classify the Parallel Programming of the chip? What happened if I accidentially erased/overwritten the ISP or I don't have a mechanism to return to the ISP mode from my application?

Does it means the chip is toasted? Or how I can get back to the ISP mode to reprogram the chip?

Please advice.

E.Mak

Andy Ayre

If you should happen to corrupt or erase the ISP code, you can use a commercial parallel programmer to recover the situation. I'm not 100% sure if Philips makes the ISP code available for this purpose - you would have to check with them. If not then your only option is to use a new chip.

Building your own parallel programmer from the spec is not a trivial task, and in engineering time it is far cheaper to buy a parallel programmer.

If you use Flash Magic there is an option in the advanced options section called "Protect ISP". When this option is turned on - which is the default - then Flash Magic stops you from corrupting or erasing the ISP code. For example, it will stop and give you an error message if you try to program a hex file that contains data in the ISP code area. Also when trying to program the Boot Vector, Flash Magic asks you to confirm the operation in a way that is hard to confirm by accident. So this gives you some degree of protection.

We have yet to hear from anyone using Flash Magic who has accidentally erased the ISP code.

Andy

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

PASCUAL LOPEZ

HI E. MAK

DON'T TRY TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARALLEL PROGRAMMING OF THAT CHIP. IT IS A MISTERY !!! I HAVE SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARALLEL PROGRAMMING, BUT IT HAS NOT WORKED. IF YOU WANT IT AND TRY IT ,SEND ME AN EMAIL: support@electronicdd.com.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS CONFIDENTIAL !!!!!!

GOOD LUCK.

PASCUAL LOPEZ