Main Menu

Parallel Programmer

Started by Tony G, August 03, 2004, 12:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi,
can anyone recommend a cheap parallel programmer for the P89C51RD2HBP.
Required for re-programming the boot loader.
Thanks,

Tony G.

erikm

The cheapest I've used with any success is Needhams.  One (small) step up in price and performance would be Xeltek.

When buying a programmer ALWAYS check the list of supported devices before buying.  I would recommend to check a very recently released chip to see to which extent the company stay current with which devices they support.

Also, do not forget to ask what the yearly maintenance fee is, some programmers are sold very cheap, but when a new chip comes out they hit you.

Erik

Then install NoTouch and you do not have to worry about bootvectors and such, this, however does not help once it is lost, it MUST be installed before the vector is lost.

Rons

Competitors products do not require a "NoTouch" bandage.
Also, I have heard comments in this discussion group about a simple
call to a Philips FE and they will re-program your devices. That is not
true. The local person in San Jose area (Lisa M Williams) will just tell
you that you need a parallel programmer.

Andy Ayre

NoTouch isn't required - just a useful technique to have. If you use the devices correctly and design your hardware correctly you should not have any problems. However as is often the case when starting out with any new device, problems can arise and that is where NoTouch helps.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

erikm

>>NoTouch isn't required - just a useful technique to have. If you use the devices correctly and design your hardware correctly you should not have any problems. However as is often the case when starting out with any new device, problems can arise and that is where NoTouch helps.<<

Sorry Andy, you have totally misunderstood.

The purpose of NoTouch is to allow ISP without opening the box.  However It has also proven itself as a means of "allowing vector destruction".

It is regrettable that in all this vector business the real purpose has been lost.

Erik