Problem of migration

Started by Gautam Morey, July 15, 2003, 04:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gautam Morey

Hi everybody,
I did use a parallel port programmer all this time.Then it conked off!!
I found Flash Magic very convenient.But there is this recurrent problem that I am facing.The ICs range from the HBA, RD2 and even the RD+.
Almost all have been programmed earlier on the parallel prog. and refuse to communicate with the PC.On an avg., out of the 10 HBA chips I tried to program in Flash Magic only 2 responded.
Now the problem is not in the cable or the comm port coz the other 2 ICs are programmed smoothly.Is it possible to check if the factory masked BootROM has been erased and if yes then how do I feed these chips with a new BootROM code.
I have tried the debug mode but since the chip fails to comm further, i am totally at loss!
I am using a 18.432 MHz crystal and comm. at 9600 kbps
I am looking for an urgent solution coz there's a production plan pending.Hence forgive me if I have overlooked any info already available.
Regards,
Gautam Morey

Andy Ayre

It is not possible to erase the Bootrom, as it is in the metal layer. I.e. It is ROM. However, it is possible to reprogram the Boot Vector so it no longer points to the Bootrom.

Using your parallel programmer, check to make sure the Boot Vector in all the devices is the default of FCH. If you cannot see how to read and write the Boot Vector then please contact the parallel programmer vendor.

If this doesn't help, please Email me.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Gautam Morey

Thanks for the really prompt reply.
I found out that the parallel prog. had a default setting of 00 for both,the status byte and status vector .
I got a few more chips going by rewriting these.But kindly tell me if I'll have to rewite them again in flashmagic after they have been programmed to 00.
Abt some more ICs that do not respond, I read in the philips app note that both these have to be erased 6 times before the change may take effect.
How should I consider this condition?
Regards,
Gautam

Andy Ayre

Flash Magic automatically ensures the Boot Vector is programmed to FCH when it has finished programming your device, so you should not need to worry about it any more. Also Flash Magic has safeguards to stop you accidentally reprogramming the Boot Vector to some other value.

Flash Magic 1.31 and later incorporate the additional erases, so this is handled automatically. However, always ensure you have the latest version of Flash Magic.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Gautam Morey

This goes for everyone.
The RD+ "requires" a 12 V voltage at its Vpp pin to get into ISP mode.
Thanks Andy for the earlier replies.
Now the problem lies with the 5 BA chips I tried the same voltage for these chips too but in vain.
I hope we find a solution soon.
Regards,
Gautam