MCB900 with LPC932 verG

Started by Hitesh, December 19, 2004, 05:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitesh

I recently purchased  Keil-MCB900. its vers.4. it has come with LPC935F on socket & with Hello-World program loaded. In Run mode it works and sends message to HyperTerminal window.

It doesnot work PROG mode. i tried replacing with fresh LPC932 verG.

i tried with FM 1.95(came on CD with MCB900), as well as ver2.xx downloaded from website! The documentation says to enable 'Assert DTR and RTS....'. But my FM (neither v1.95 nor v2.07)donot show that option!

In all cases, it simply cannot even read device ID. in run mode voltages at pin 2&3 are anout -6V. but in program mode voltages become pin3 -6V and pin2 +3.5V.

how can i get going? my aim is to finally program LPC932.

Andy Ayre

Make sure you have the LPC935 selected and go to Options -> Advanced Options and click on the Hardware Config tab.

Select "Use DTR and RTS to enter ISP mode" and choose Keil MCB900.

Click on OK and ignore the message about the BootROM.

Choose 7200 baud.

Ensure the jumper is in the RESET position only.

Try to read the signature bytes (ISP -> Read Device Signature...)

***ensure you select the device you are actually using*** If you select LPC932 in Flash Magic but you are using an LPC935 then you will mess up your devices, and vice versa.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Hitesh

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

But I found the problem. I had made a serial extension cable to brign-out serial port to front. And didnot brought-out pin 1,4,6 to front! I had shorted them on PC-end connector, as none of my other application were using it.
And probably thatswhy my circuit also didnot work made by copying MCB900 interface part.

I made a new cable & now its working! Sorry for troubling you & taking your precious time.

Now its reading ID,config & security bytee. And I hope rest will also work fine.

Thanks again.

Hitesh

Hitesh

Hello Andy,

its me again. i have a target PCB with LPC922 on it. I have conencted it to MCB900 using a 5pin extension cable, connecting V3.3, RST,TX,RX & GND.

is it possible to program LPC922 using this method. I tried, but couldnot succeed. I have removed LPC935 from MCB900. I hope this is correct.

FM doesnot recognize LPC922. Or instead using MBB900, should i use other HW methods?

I hope I am not asking for too much Help!?   :~)

Regards
Hitesh

Hitesh

Hello Andy,

some more outcome of my experimenting. Now, using my 5way extension cable connected to MCB900 (no-IC in PLCC), I am able to do folowing:

program fresh LPC922 on first boot, as its already into BootROM mode.  Sameway I could program FRESH LPC932 (verC!) also in similar fashion, but only once!

Once programmed, its not possible to put any of them again in BootROM mode using any of methods. Most of the time i am trying Break-Detect method.

I am trying with MCB900 vs.4. In some post I read MCBvs.4 donot support LPC932 verC? Same applies to then LPC922 also?

Whats wrong? Why this chips donot enter BootROM mode again? I enable ERASE ALL but ISP protection is ON all the time.

Andy Ayre

Where did you connect your target board to on the MCB900? You should connect it to the PLCC socket or the pins in the DIL outline next to the prototyping area. If you connected anywhere else you might be bypassing the circuit needed for hardware pulse entry.

Next thing to try - put your original device back into the PLCC socket and try programming there to make sure your MCB900 still works ok.

Did you select the LPC922 when you were trying to program it? If you selected another LPC device then you might have corrupted the boot vector.

Steven

Dear Andy,
    My case is similar to Hitesh. I need to programme a firmware to LPC932 (Rev. G), but getting trouble with it:
My approach is like this:
   As LPC932 support ISP, so I built a simple PCB for pulse generation to enter ISP (refer to the MCB 900 Help manual-RS232 interface part). A sample "hello world.hex" is progarmmed on the LPC using Flash Magic. "Hello world" text can be displayed using Hyper-terminal as described in MCB 900 help manual. But after that, FM cannot perform any task(s) on it: Read security bit, device ID, reprogram BootROM ... anthing i can't do.

My questions are:
1.     Whether my ISP method correct? I can send the cct diagram of prgm PCB to u if you like.
2.   How can I config the FM so that i can reprograme the chip, but not just once?
3.   Can I connect my device with LPC932 soldered to MCB 900 for (re)programming? If yes, how to do?

Pls advise what to do. Feel free to inform me if you require clearer scenario. Thanks for your kindly attention!

Best regards,
Steven Tsoi
Electronic Engineer
AIS Ltd.

Andy Ayre

To configure FM to use the LPC9xx devices:

Select 7200 baud or 9600 baud (whichever works)
Select the correct device (do not select a similar device - it will mess up the device!)
Go to the advanced options and turn on Protect ISP
Go to the advanced options and turn on use DTR and RTS to enter ISP mode
Set T1 = 250ms, T2 = 120ms

If that doesn't work, then debug your circuit using the Flash Magic application note that describes how the MCB900 circuit works.

You can connect your LPC932 to the MCB900 board by either:
  - putting it in the PLCC socket
  - soldering a DIL socket in the marked area next to the prototyping area, and putting your device in that socket
  - etc.

kurt graf

on mcb900 board that worked out of box running sample hello program to hyperterminal successfully. Using uvision 3 I can't download to the board, I get "can't execute fm.exe". Using flash magic 1.95 and 2.07 I get a red power light when I try to run programs that appear to be successfully downloaded to the P89LPC935. The power light is also red during downloading. The power light was white when first up and running. What does the red power light signify? The programs downloaded with flashmagic don't write to the hyperterminal.

Andy Ayre

Go to the command prompt in any folder and type "fm". Does Flash Magic start? If not then then problem is that your PC cannot find the executable. You need to add the path to the Flash Magic installation folder to your PATH variable. This is normally done automatically, but you might need to restart your PC. Double-check that the path was actually added. If not then you need to add it manually. Search on google to find out how to do that.

If you can run fm.exe from anywhere, then run the regular user interface version and make sure you can program your device successfully. Only when you have that part working should you try to integrate with uVision3.

Finally, double-check the command line directives you have entered for fm.exe in uVision3. Try running them manually on the command line (i.e. outside of uVision3).

Not sure about the power light. Maybe someone else knows the answer?

kurt graf

I can currently run flash magic successfully independent of uvision. I can download programs that change the lights blinking but the serial output to hyperterminal isn't working. Any ideas on the serial output not working, any way to determine if the problem is hardware or software? Could the security bits be affecting serial output? The set security bits are            Block 1 Sec. Bit 0
Block 1 Sec. Bit 1
Block 7 Sec. Bit 0
Block 7 Sec. Bit 1

I got the fm.exe working in uvision 3, but the serial output still isn't working.

Andy Ayre

You must have the UART incorrectly configured. Try generating code at http://www.codearchitect.org/philips.

erikm

also, I would be suspicious of any attempt to do serial using the internal oscillator.

Erik

kurt graf

the startup900.a51 file installed with the cdrom is dated 4/30/2004 and is 10kb. the new file is dated 2/4/2005 and is 12kb. I placed the the new file in the install hello folder and the serial communication works. Apparently, the new version was installed to test the board and then loading from the install cdrom used  the old version.

kurt graf

start900.a51 is the name of the file