How to save the HEX file?

Started by mahler, May 09, 2005, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler

In FlashMagic manuel, it is said that saving the burned data as HEX file is possible. But in my FlashMagic, the manu item of "Save as" is always gray.

Chip: LPC922
Connection is good
Blank check: not blank
Read security Bits: not set

Could any guy please tell me how to "Save as"? Thanks.

Andy Ayre

Reading the contents of the device memory is not supported on the LPC9xx devices when using ISP, so the hex file save feature is not available.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

mahler

Andrew Ayre wrote:

> Reading the contents of the device memory is not supported on
> the LPC9xx devices when using ISP, so the hex file save feature
> is not available.
>
>

Thank you, Andy. I won't waste any more time, according this information.

Jan Waclawek

Having a look at the sourcecode  of ISP of LPC9xx (available from Philips website) reveals, that there _is_ a read data feature implemented, it just happened not been mentioned in the documentation...

Jan Waclawek

Andy Ayre

Yes, however neither Philips nor ESAcademy supports undocumented features. Use with caution - there might be reasons why it wasn't documented.

erikm

A good guess would be that they took the code from e.g. tle Rx2 and modified it.  Then it is not unusual that some such will reamin, although having no effect.

Erik

Jan Waclawek

Andy:
Yes, however neither Philips nor ESAcademy supports undocumented features. Use with caution - there might be reasons why it wasn't documented.

Of course; it's just an answer to the OP. He can try himself, using any terminal emulator.

Jan Waclawek

Andy Ayre

I was anticipating the next question: "When will Flash Magic support this feature". :)

Jan Waclawek

OK so you have already scheduled it? :-D

(Btw. could you ask Philips, why is it not documented? The sourcecode of bootloader is published.)

Jan Waclawek

erikm

my guess

it is not documented becuase it is not there.

The ultimate code safety (and you do not need to set any security bits) is the inability to read the code externally.

Now go get a big sticj and go hit Bill Houghton oin the head because he did not tyotally remove the invalid code. OH, only do so, if you have never done so yourself.

Erik

Jan Waclawek

OK so I finally wired up a P89LPC932A1 (they are sitting quietly in my drawer since I bought them three months ago... simply have no time for my hobbies) to a piece of protoboard and started one of my favorite terminal programs and... guess... it works, so it's there. Of course, set the security bit and it reads nothing (returns all zeros).

Btw, a surprise for me, the erased part reads all zeros (not FFs)!

Jan Waclawek

Andy Ayre

Sorry, it's still not documented and therefore not supported by NXP or us.

If you wish to verify what you programmed is correct use the CRC feature on the ISP menu.

Andy