Interpreter fo Microcontroler

Started by Macpharen, September 05, 2003, 12:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macpharen

I am writting a proposal for MSc thesis.   The scenario is:  I have an intelligent house, where everything is controlled by a central microprocessor.  But I want the tenant of my house to be able to add some new functionalities in the microprocessor or add some new equipments and  program the system using simple commands made in notepad/wordpad.  

I think I need to have a tool that work like a BASIC interpreter in the firmware.  I can not use normal C compilers because they are so big, and need a special IDE.  Is there a cormmecial tool that can help me solve the problem.  Can I use  FlashMagic?

Olaf Pfeiffer

Macpharen wrote:
>     I think I need to have a tool that work like a BASIC
> interpreter in the firmware.  I can not use normal C compilers
> because they are so big, and need a special IDE.  Is there a
> cormmecial tool that can help me solve the problem.  Can I use
> FlashMagic?

You can use FlashMagic to program a hex file into the microcontroller. However, it will not help you or your clients to generate the hex file in the first place.

You would probably need some sort of interpreter engine (BASIC or such) in the microcontroller and then use a customized loader program (FlashMagic could be customized to do this) to load the code to be interpreted, which would probably be an ASCII text file.

Olaf Pfeiffer
Tutor at ESAcademy
http://www.esacademy.com