P89LPC932 and P89LPC932A1

Started by Tomas Stein, August 02, 2005, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas Stein

Ok, so a few years ago, I designed a application with a P89LPC932.  My recollection of the programming process, was a horror story, but not because of FlashMagic as it turned out.  Finally, I got everything worked out so that my client could program the device initially using the MCB900 and (re)program the device using either the three-pulse (3 finger salute) or break signal.

Fast forward to now and it seems Philips have released the P89LPC932A1 and now my client MUST implement it.  I have a few questions that I hope will help myself and possibly anybody else that might be wondering?

1) Is ISP method of reprogramming still available? Or has it been completely replaced by ICP?  In other words, can a A1 be programmed just like the non-A1?

2) I notice that the P89LPC932A1 option within FlashMagic now asks for the Oscillator frequency.  However, on the old version, the bootloader would measure the bit-time automatically.  In ICP mode, data is "clocked" in.  So why does Flashmagic now care about the oscillator frequency?

3) Once the hardware has had the bootstatus bit cleared and I want to re-program the device, does ICP require the "special" reset to get it back into program mode? (IE: either break signal or 3 pulse)  Or is it ALWAYS ready for ICP commands?

4) The MCB900 can now be programmed with an ISP-ICP bridge code.  So I assume Flashmagic sends programming commands in ISP form?

Thanks in advance for any insights.  I appreciate it greatly
Tomas

Andy Ayre

Answered in the same order:

1. Some LPC9xx devices support ISP, some ISP and ICP and some (those without UARTs) only support ICP. The datasheet is the best source for the information on the capabilities of a device. I am fairly sure the A1 supports ISP.

2. The A1 supports the high speed communications mode (usually referred to as direct load of baud rate in the datasheet). The oscillator frequency is only used for that purpose. The regular LPC932 didn't have this feature.

3. I'm not too sure on the details of ICP, but I think you have to reset the device into ICP mode.

4. All Flash Magic understands is ISP. The timing requirements for ICP waveforms are such that it isn't possible for a Windows based PC to generate them. Instead an ISP to ICP bridge is used. The application note on how to do this and the hex file for programming into the device on the MCB900 are all available on the Flash Magic web page, under the Third Party files section.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Tomas Stein

Very informative.  Thank you.  

So it looks like an existing setup (3 pulses or break signal) should continue to work when my client updates to the A1.