Main Menu

Execute Command

Started by Saurabh Mukadam, September 05, 2003, 03:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurabh Mukadam

What exactly EXECUTE command/instruction do in flash Magic that makes 89C51Rx2Hxx device restarts with the new application. What is the command sent to 89C51Rx2 when EXECUTE command/instruction is executed ?

Andy Ayre

The execute command programs the status byte to zero and then sends a command to ensure the watchdog is turned on. Once the watchdog times out, the device will reset and execute your code.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Saurabh Mukadam

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for information. Can you tell me what is the exact command to be sent on serial port to turn on watch dog inside RX2.

Andy Ayre

:02000005800178

Rx2/66x rev G and later ONLY. This command only performs the reset.

Ingo

Hi Andrew
Looking in the application note AN461_9.

:02000005800178

0001 = read signature byte

Andy Ayre

Because of the extra bit that is set - it turns on the watchdog.

No, it isn't possible or necessary to do this via IAP. You simply turn on the watchdog yourself and let it time out. Or use a jump to zero after messing with the interrupts, etc. More info on that method on www.8052.com. I have always found a watchdog reset to be the easiest and most reliable.

erik malund

"You simply turn on the watchdog yourself and let it time out.
 Or use a jump to zero after messing with the interrupts, etc.
I have yet to see method 2 working without extensive effort to get all the things right.  So why on earth even try when method 1 is dead easy.

Erik

Andy Ayre

I agree. I've never liked method 2. But some people like to punish themselves... :)

Saurabh Mukadam

Thanks Andrew/Erik for information. This will help me alot.