P89V51

Started by zsavov, July 18, 2006, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zsavov

Hi,

I am trying to ISP program a P89V51FBC chip. I somehow made it communicating  with FlashMagic (I could verify the chip etc). Then I erased all blocks. Then I tried to program the chip. While programming it, something happened and the process did not finish. And after that I could not connect to the chip again. It said "Reset chip in ISP" and "Decrease baud rate". The FlashMagic manual states that when erasing blocks, boot vector is erased as well and when programming is over the boot vector is set again. But what happens if the programming is not over, ie comms fails (as in my case)? The boot vector is lost and so is the chip (soldered on board and SMD at that)! How can I deal with this situation? Is not it better to set the boot vector first so even if programming fails the chip is not lost? Or to erase the boot vector selectively?

Thank you
zsavov

Andy Ayre

THere is no boot vector on that device. Check the datasheet for a description on how the ISP entry works. The only way I currently know how you can cause problems is if you select the wrong device in Flash Magic and accidentally place the device into SoftICE mode.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Jan Waclawek

Andy,

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE there is no bootvector on this device?
I can't find anything on P89V51FBC  on the Philips website, and when I tried googling for it, it returned only one result, hinting, that this is identical to P89C51RD2Hxx...?

Jan Waclawek

Andy Ayre

I don't believe there is a boot vector. I don't recall seeing documentation showing it has one.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Jan Waclawek

OK, but have you seen ANY documentation on an IC with this name?
Any links?

JW

Post Edited (07-25-06 00:33)