FlashMagic from Dell Core Duo Laptop

Started by tharkaway, August 27, 2007, 01:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tharkaway

I am trying to use FlashMagic (Ver. 3.64.237) from a Dell Lattitude (core duo 2.0 GHz.) connecting to a LPC2103 device. Several other people with the company can successfully connect to the exact device, using the same cables I am using. I am also able to connect to the device when it is running its application program.

However when I try to connect and read the device's memory with FlashMagic, I get the following error - "Operation Failed. (failed to autobaud - step 1)". I get the same error using both the laptop built in COM 1 port and a USB com port configured as COM 4.

I was wondering if there might be some issues with the Core Duo processor and FlashMagic.

Je Gold

Lets go back to basic serial comm's.

a)
Digital loopback test...to check serial port or ports
========================================

Run Hyperterminal  and 9600, n, 8, 1  -  echo off  - no hardware handshaking.

-->select "connect"

Connect pins 2-3 together on your cable  (that is TxD to RxD).....only connected to a PC nothing else.

Pressing keys should echo on your screen....... Of not you have comms problem.

Disclaimer - use at own risk.

b)  One of the comms ports could be the internal modem???

c)  Some Laptops  have poor RS232 drivers.

Joe

tharkaway

Both the built-in serial port and the USB serial adapter on the laptop work fine. I have test them each with other applications and with the LPC2103 when it is running its application program.

Andy Ayre

Try autobauding with your LPC2103 using Tera Term Pro or something similar. Use the same baudrate you are choosing in Flash Magic. Cut and paste what you get into your reply on here.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Shawn

I am having a similar problem with a LPC2378, it always reports failed to autobaud.  I know the port is communicating with the device because if I program with JTAG I can interact with my applicaion via HyperTerm.

The serial port is a hard port on a laptop.

How do you "autobaud" using hyperterm or terraterm?

Shawn

Andy Ayre

Shawn

That was very helpfull.

I sent a ? and it said syncronized.  Yet, I still can not program via flash magic.

I ran the following command line:
QUIET(FMOutput.txt)
COM(1, 9600)
DEBUG
DEVICE(LPC2378, 12.000000)
ERASEUSED(NewHex.hex, PROTECTISP)
HEXFILE(NewHex.hex, NOCHECKSUMS,NOFILL,PROTECTISP)
VERIFY(NewHex.hex, NOCHECKSUMS)

I have attached the fmd file generated.
Here is the contents of the FMOutput.txt:  Connection failed: invalid command

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Andy Ayre

Here is a snippet:

tx> ?
rx> \0

This means that Flash Magic transmitted a '?' and got a NUL (ASCII 00H) back. It looks like you are using DTR and RTS, but I don't see the HARDWARE directive being used on the command line. I would guess this has something to do with it. Why you used Hyperterminal how did you place the device into ISP mode? With buttons?

Andy

Shawn

We dont have the DTR or RTS hooked up.

I put the unit into the boot block by pressing a button.  After I do that, I run the command I showed you.

Or, IF I am in hyperterm, I launch hyperterm, press the button to go into the bootblock then type ? and it says synchronized

Thanks for the quick responses.

Shawn

Andy Ayre

Go to Options -> Advanced Options and disable the DTR/RTS option.

Cycle the power on your board and use the buttons to reset the device into ISP mode.

Then go to ISP -> Read Device Signature

Let me know if that works or not. If not please generate a debug file.

regards, Andy

Shawn

I got the same error withing the GUI.  I don't know how to make a debug file from the gui, so I modified my command file to be:

QUIET(FMOutput.txt)
COM(1, 9600)
DEBUG
DEVICE(LPC2378, 12.000000)
READSIGNATURE

The FMOutput is the same as before: Connection failed: invalid command

The FMD file is attached.

Shawn

Andy Ayre

Now it looks like the device has already autobauded, which doesn't make much sense. Please try again but using the GUI version. Don't forget to disable DTR and RTS in the Advanced Options. To turn on the debug mode press F1. To turn it off press F2.

Andy

Shawn

You got it.  Here is teh FMD that results from:

Double-check RTS disabled setting in FM
Put device in boot block
Click Read Device Signature

Andy Ayre

Hmmm...same as before. FM sends a '?' and gets a NUL back.

When you tested with Hyperterminal did you use the same serial cable, same hardware and same baud rate?

Are you using a USB to RS232 cable?

Can you try the Hyperterminal test again, cycling the power on the board and using the buttons to place the device into ISP mode before trying?

Andy

Shawn

Hi Andy.

Same cable is in use no matter what I am doing.  I just change apps.
Its a DB-9 serial port on a laptop.
Hyperterm still reports Synchronized as soon as I hit ?

Please let me know what to do next.

Shawn