usb - serial

Started by arjun mitra, July 11, 2005, 06:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjun mitra

hi,
i recently tried the laptop usb to serial port cable thing and i still cannot program. the reason is tht my cable is being installed as a human interface device by windows automatically and does not alloe the driver cd to install te provided driver.. hence since the auto installation is as an hid, the device doesn't have a com port address at all. so its impossible to use flash magic. the device manager says that it has an address of 0
what do i do?
how do i install this thing properly so that it has a com port address?
Arjun

Andy Ayre

I suggest to contact the cable manufacturer and take advantage of their technical support. A USB to serial cable that cannot be installed as a COM port is rather useless...

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Jan Waclawek

Sometimes it also helps to go to the site of manufacturer of the chip inside the "cable" (there are not too many of them) and find a driver there.

Jan Waclawek

Frank

Let's thank Embedded Systems Academy for a free but useful software--Flashmagic first!
    I use the software time and time again,It's very helpful and convenient.But,today I have some  suggestion about Flashmagic.Recently,I use a USB-to-SERIAL cable on my laptop,and there is just a little troublesome step.The problem is that my cable always changes the port name,like this,this time maybe play  as a COM3,next time maybe as a COM4.so before using the flashmagic,i must lookup  the device manager,finding which the port is.
    My suggestionis:Can you do something in the programme to add a new founction like auto-scan the serial port number?So ,we needn't to select  the serial port before using the software.
    Thanks for your self-giving dedication!

Frank

erikm

My suggestionis:Can you do something in the programme to add a new founction

My suggestion: buy another USB to RS232

Erik

Andy Ayre

How would I implement the scan to find COM ports with something connected? If I ask the system for available ports then you will probably still have to keep changing your selection. If I try to autobaud with each port, it may cause problems for those users who always have something completely unrelated to FM connected to one of the ports (i.e. industrial machinery).

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

dptxp

Andy, even information on available ports can be very useful especially if USB-Serial adapters are used. If portopen or not can be put up, still better.
I have a very short program in VB (I forget but I think it uses API) to detect ports but could not modify to see if open or closed.

BTW I have a funny problem in my laptop (same version XP but updated in laptop). The same USB-Serial Adapter BAFO -810 that works on desktop
does not work on laptop, and even if I remove it, the comport shows as available. Desktop is Sempron 64 bit, laptop is Turion 64-bit, both AMD-64.

BAFO 810 works on desktop with 89C61X2, but not 89VRD2.

Thanks.