Bug in FM Ver 4.37.1507, prevents bootloader uddate from Ver4 to Ver7

Started by prabul, January 24, 2009, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prabul

I tried to update bootloader Ver 7 using FM to a fresh P89V51RD2BN having bootloader ver 4. The operation failed. Boot Loader also gets corrupted some times during several trials.
Later I got bootloader Ver5 from the web with instructions to update the bootloader. The "bootloader updater" should be programmed as an application and then after resetting the target, use terminal console to update the bootloader by pressing char 'U' from the terminal console.

I tried the same procedure with Ver7 of the bootloader downloaded from the web. This works. Subsequent updates (after updating to ver5 of bootloader or higher) of the bootloader via Flash Magic Bootload update works fine. NXP needs to improve its documentation to ease the task of developers.

This information is shared to gather more comments and experiences for the benefit of developers.

Andy Ayre

Some of the older bootloaders failed to erase block 0 correctly. I guess this might be what you are seeing as block 0 is used in the update process. Why it worked using a terminal I am not sure.

If you are able to duplicate the problem of updating from v4 to v7, please generate a debug file and send it to us. The instructions are here:

http://www.flashmagictool.com/debugfile.html

thanks, Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

prabul

Dear Andy,

I am using windows 2000 PC and i tried to upgrade the bootloader of a fresh 89V51RD2BN IC with batch number KzNO439 AC in debug mode.
I first selected F1 to switch to debug mode. Then read the device signature by selecting "ISP" followed by "Read Device Signature" from the menu.
The Device signature was shown as "BF 91 04". Now I selected "ISP" followed by "Update Bootloader" from the menu and gave the file name "P89V51RD2_V07_UPD_ISP.HEX". Then pressed Update button. The screen indicated that the device was programming and at the end stopped by indicating "Programming device (0x2110)" followed by a display window "Operation Failed". After this, the bootloader is failing to even update user code through Flash Magic and also to update the bootloader, rendering the IC useless. Attached please find the debug file. Hope you will be able to let us know what is going wrong.

Thank you and Regards
Prabul

Andy Ayre

I emailed you a new version to try. Let me know if the problem is solved.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

prabul

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your quick response. I tried the new DLL as per your instructions to upgrade the bootloader on a virgin chip.
Bootloader update operation halted after indicating "programming device (0x2100)", without any further progress.
After waiting for 30 seconds, I pressed update once again, as there was no exit route other than to kill the process.
A pop up window "Unable to communicate. (transmit/receive)" was displayed and the programming process repeated once again.
I pressed OK button on the pop up window and a new window indicating "There is no communication to the device" was displayed.
This pop up window was cleared by pressing OK button.
I then checked the bootloader version and it showed the same earlier version 4 and i quit FM.
The debug file recorded during the above operation is mailed to you for your further analysis as it could not be uploaded on this site due to size limitation (133KB file size).

Regards
Prabul