Is there a possibility for device mismatch warning in FM-Console?

Started by crossing, February 10, 2011, 07:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossing

Hi All,
I'm using Flashmagic both as GUI  and as batch file, too.
If a selected device in the GUI  doesn't match the connected device, a warning pops up. Thats great!
Not so in the  FM console:
When using the console programming I can select a LPC 2377  and program for example a LPC2478 without warning.
fm COM(1, 115200) DEVICE(LPC2377, 4.000000) HEXFILE(hexfile.hex, NOCHECKSUMS, NOFILL, PROTECTISP) VERIFY(hexfile.hex, NOCHECKSUMS)
Not even verify gives errors.
Will there any errorlevel value given back when doing actions on a wrong device? I would be glad when able to avoid overwriting other devices.

Alternatively, I found the READSIGNATURE command.
But it helps a little only, as it requires double checking of a 9 digit number. And do I know if the signature remains the same during all life cycle of a LPC2478?

Andy Ayre

There is currently no signature checking in the command line version. The idea is that people who use the command line version are confident of what they are doing.

However, in this case the LPC2xxx devices support the same set of commands. The only difference will be the memory sizes. If you attempt to program a location that doesn't exist then an error will be reported by the microcontroller.

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

crossing

Hi Andy
thank you for the fast reply.
You wrote
"There is currently no signature checking in the command line version. The idea is that people who use the command line version are confident of what they are doing."

Basically that's right, but when programming a bunch of devices with different LPC controllers being selected using a batch file, it quickly happens that a wrong key is touched....
I was about trying to eliminate that case.

How do you guys of FlashMagic figure out a device matching in the GUI? Using the Device ID?
I could try this way...Maybe asking NXP if Device ID are unique for each controller independet of year, charge or release.