problems with P89C51RD2BA

Started by Kiran, January 02, 2004, 01:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiran

Hi All,
 I am FashMagic to program P89C51RD2BA. The problem I am facing is that once programmed, if i tried to program it once again, FlashMagic not ables to get conected with it. So once programmed , it is working as OTP.
  Is there any solution for this ?

Thanking you

Kiran Dalvi
Software Engg.

Andy Ayre

Go through the steps in the application note on the Flash Magic web page titled what to do if ISP does not work. Let me know the results.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Kiran

Andrew Ayre wrote:

> Go through the steps in the application note on the Flash Magic
> web page titled what to do if ISP does not work. Let me know
> the results.
>
>

Hi Andrew,
 I gone through all the steps given in application note 4. But it didn't worked, so at last I used Flash Magic in debug mode & got "flashmagic.fmd" generated. I have send this file & additional information on "info@esacademy". How I should send this file in this forum ?

TIA

Kiran Dalvi
Software Engg.

Andy Ayre

The correct place to send the debug files is to the support address rather than the info address. If you can resend it that will help speed things up.

There is currently no option to send files to or from this forum.

Brian

The 89C51RD2BA will work with Flash Magic if you add the work around in figure 2 on the Errata sheet.

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/other/mcu/es_89c51rx2_01_090402.pdf

It is a simple RC network that delays PSEN going low for ~ 10us.
I actually used a 10K ohm resistor and a 10uF cap. which gave about a 1ms delay....way long than needed but it works great.

And this delay will have no effect on programming 89C51RD2HBAs.

Good Luck,
Brian

Kiran

Hi Brian,
 Thankx for reply. It's not that I am not able to program P89C52RD2BA, I am getting problem while reprogramming it. When I tried to reprogram it, I am getting connection errors.
 Have you tried reprogramming P89CRD2BA ?

Thankx
Kiran

Kiran Dalvi
Software Engg.

Brian

Kiran,

Yes, I could reprogram them.  But only with the RC delay added.

The funny thing is you can program the chips without the delay ONCE, and only once.  After that, you must use the delay or you will not be able to connect.

With the delay added, you can program the first time and every time.  And it doesn't effect the older 89C51RD2Hxx chips either.

Brian
ESI Electronic Products Corp.

erik malund

The funny thing is you can program the chips without the delay ONCE, and only once

If you on that once occasion install NoTouch with working code or the emergency out while developing you will not have that problem.  Both can be fornd at

http://www.8052.com/users/erikm/

WARNING:  both are for P89C66x and the H versions of the P89C51Rx2, they may and may not work for the nonH versions, please check.

Erik

Andy Ayre

Brian,

The reason for that is because the devices come from the factory with the status byte set. So on power up they enter ISP mode regardless of the hardware entry conditions.

Gautam Morey

Dear Andy,
I had posted the same problem earlier and am pretty used to the usual replies.Elsewhere in the forum the same problem has been met by many other individuals and all of them are RD2BA specific ( or atleast RD2BN).
Unfortunately I have tried everything ... even the "last resort".
No offence meant Andy but the first 3 replies you give are something you have specified in the documentation available. Most users have tried all of them already and want your expertise to go beyond them.
I am still waiting for the BA to work and have switched on to other things.
Gautam Morey

Gautam Morey

Dear Andy,
I had posted the same problem earlier and am pretty used to the usual replies.Elsewhere in the forum the same problem has been met by many other individuals and all of them are RD2BA specific ( or atleast RD2BN).
Unfortunately I have tried everything ... even the "last resort".
No offence meant Andy but the first 3 replies you give are something you have specified in the documentation available. Most users have tried all of them already and want your expertise to go beyond them.
I am still waiting for the BA to work and have switched on to other things.
Gautam Morey

Andy Ayre

If anyone has outstanding problems they are experiencing then they should contact me for free support with Flash Magic.

Usually I respond with suggestions or next steps to try as a process of elimination. In my last Email to you I gave you some steps to eliminate Flash Magic from the problem so we could take it from there, but I haven't heard back yet. If you would like to respond to my last Email then we can continue to narrow the problem down further.

Andy Ayre

Note that the most common problem is that Flash Magic won't communicate with the device. The reason for this can vary greatly as there are a large number of variables that can change. For example, insufficient supply voltage to the device to a faulty PC COM port. Therefore there is a need to take logical steps to narrow the cause down.

I hope this helps.

Bob Bailey

I have a problem, similar to these.

I added a 40 pin ZIF socket to a WIN-ISP board and use it as my programmer with FlashMagic.  I have problems entering boot mode on the very first time (brand new IC).  I have a backup boot mode similar to eric's solution, so as long as I can get my stuff loaded, I can always get back to boot.

Sometimes it takes several power cycles with PSEN low and a couple presses of the reset button to get the chip into boot mode.

I am currently using P89C51RC2BN/01, with plans to move up to the RD2 part, so I would like to get this fixed......

P2.6 and P2.7 are floating, also.

Any ideas on things to check or try... eric?  Andy?
Is there a support guy at Philips that might lend a hand?

Thanks guys!

Bob

erik malund

did yoo note the "capacitor on PSEN' in the documentation?
since the chips come in boot mode have you tried just to start programming without the 'funny pin levels'

Erik