ISP or ICP

Started by Simon, February 16, 2004, 10:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Hi
Does someeone tell me, what is diferent betwen ISP and ICP? I see all series LPC9xx support ICP, so I'd like to made this programator. What is in this addapter PAB9xx? Please help me to made one universal programator. I'll publish it and will be free for all!

TNX Simon

Andy Ayre

ISP uses ASCII Hex records sent to the UART.
ICP transmits binary data to a single pin and the clock to another pin, a bit like SPI.

The PAB9xx consists of an 89LPC932 which converts ISP commands to ICP commands and vice versa. Flash Magic is then used with the adaptor to talk to the ICP enabled device.

I don't have any ICP details available, but you might find something on the Philips web site.

Note that I don't think the 89LPC932 supports ICP.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Simon

Huh, now I see. All family exept 932 can program with ICP. :(
I don't understand Philips.... well, you meen I must made ISP programator and if I won't program via ICP I must made adapter with converter, who can convert ISP signal to ICP. Much easy to do with PC softwate :( :( Well OK I'll do it. I have PDF of ICP programing protocol. I must find info obout ISP, then will se what can I do...
TNX for info !

Yang

Hi,Simon: You can find ISP info from user manul of lpc9xx. ISP need a piece of program on chip, but ICP does't.  I'm looking for Philips' ICP programing Protocol, but still fail. Would you please send me one, thank!

Bauke Siderius

Hi,

More details on ICP programming are in the appnote on how to use ICP. http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/applicationnotes/AN10258_1.pdf
ICP was developed for the small 8pin devices with 1K of memory that does not have the memory available for 512 bytes of ISP and additional memory for the IAP commands.
It is available on all parts except the LPC932, a new LPC932A1 will come out that does support ICP. This will also allow you to use the full 8K of the device.

Regards,

Bauke

Martien

Hi,

You might want to take a look at www.acqura.com and take a look at this thread: http://www.acqura.com/thread.asp?ID=254

You'll need an emulator of them to use ICP though.

Regards,

Martien

Joachim Woelk

Note that the ICP application note now is available in a second edition (AN10258_2.pdf), correcting a bug.