flash failure

Started by Yeddnapuddi Sivakumar, February 16, 2004, 10:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeddnapuddi Sivakumar

Hi ESA team

I was using Flash magic tool for past two years.i did not find issues when i am using the 89c51rd+,89c51rd2hbp.
There was recent launch from philips microcontroller part no  is 89c51rd2BN....

Here i face issues in performing flashing using flash magic.
It fails in erasing and stucks up ....
It stucks up in erasing 0... and and flashing fails.

Further i am unable to enter ISP mode.Kindly i need your advice to perform flashing for this chip.

Andy Ayre

Have you implemented the reset solution in the errata sheet for that device?

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Peter

After loading a sample programe to check the I/O ports and then the
controller cannot to use ISP function again. I have followed errate sheet procedurce to warm boot ISP function. But it cann't work.
Please send me solution by email. Thanks a lot!

Peter

Andy Ayre

The datasheet describes voltages that need to be on specific pins at reset. Have you taked a multimeter and checked that the voltages are correct? Also, what happens if you connect using a terminal program (8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control) and send a single uppercase 'U'? Does the device echo it back?

Rons

The reset solution is a good thing. I also noticed that if your microntroller
supply voltage is lower than spec you will see problems that FlashMagic
cannot identify.

Chirag

hi,
this is chirag. I am facing the same problem. Unable to erase the flash blocks. Please do send me the solution if you have one.Rons wrote:

Chirag

hi,
this is chirag. I am facing the same problem. Unable to erase the flash blocks. Please do send me the solution if you have one.

Andy Ayre

Chirag - you will need to give me more information than that. For example, which device are you using? What crystal frequency and baud rate are you using? Can you read the security bits and device signature even though you cannot erase? Etc. If you look at some of the other postings you will see the types of information that I need.

sudip

i'm using P89C51RD2BN with crystal frequency 22.1184 Mhz, I can read the device signature and the security bits but when i try to erase it through flash magic, the software hangs....after that when i reconnected it by hardware resetting the mcu...the flash memory read all 00h..please help

erik malund

P89C51RD2BN with crystal frequency 22.1184 Mhz
have you programmed it to start in 12 clock mode, in 6 clock the Max is 20MHz.

Erik

Chirag

hi,
Sudip and I are woking together on the same project.
I suppose the P89C51RD2BN has a default 12 clock mode. on the last line on the top side of the chip it is written as 12clk(6 clk). As it is if it would have not been in 12 clock mode would it communicate with the flashmagic on first count.
So finally how to erase the flash memory

Rons

The issue brought up by erik is you cannot operate the chip in 6 clock mode
with an oscillator above 20MHz. If you use 22.1184 in 6 clock mode, that's
wrong. On a reset the device is by default in 12 clock mode, then you would
be alright.

Andy Ayre

1. Did you make sure you are using the reset solution from the errata sheet? I didn't see an answer to this question on the forum when I asked it.

2. How fast are you running the device? 12 clocks/cycle or 6 clocks/cycle? You can find out for sure by choosing "Read Clocks" from the ISP menu.

3. What happens when you choose "Erase Flash..." from the ISP menu, check "Erase All Flash + Security" and click on OK?

4. Do you have the "6 clks/cycle" option checked?

erik malund

Rons:
>>On a reset the device is by default in 12 clock mode, then you would
be alright<<
Not necessarily, there are two bits, one program and one 'flash'
Andy:
>>Do you have the "6 clks/cycle" option checked<<
That would be very bad with an xtal >20MHz

Erik

sudip

no, 6 clks/cycle option was not checked while erasing and the device was running in 12 clks/cycle default mode after reset....then also the erasing opertion hangs.
sudip