Linux platform & download

Started by Kirti Wanjale, May 20, 2004, 03:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirti Wanjale

Hello friends!

I am working on some project related to 89c51rd2. My problem is that I want to download the hex file on same microcontroller but my system is LINUX based.  Could you help me out regarding the same problem i.e. How to download the HEX file from LINUX platform machine?
Thanks in advance.

with regards
Kirti

Andy Ayre

You might want to try running Flash Magic under Wine. Some people have reported success with it. There is no technical support available however.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Rons

You can obtain wine from gnu.org and build/install on your linux platform.

or you can write an application that talks through one of the COM ports
to send and receive data using the isp interface built into the 89c51rd2.

zidane med

Kirti

Hello Andrew & Rons,

Thank you very much for given solution. But basically I don't know very much about Wine. Please could you elaborate more on it.
Kirti

Rons

Kirti,
    Wine was written to allow MS windows programs to execute on a
    computer that runs the Linux operating system. It basically remaps
    system calls. But it is quite a lot of code. It is not perfect, but it appears
    to allow FlashMagic to run on linux.  You just type "wine FlashMagic.exe"
    The one issue I have is that when I try to display flash memory, the
    pop-up window does not display the memory contents. It just stays
    blank. So I felt the need to write my own GUI based program to talk
    to the Philips microcontrollers using Linux.  It does everything I need.
    I was able to customize so features that I found lacking in FlashMagic,
    no offense to our FlashMagic guys out there.
    I suggest that you obtain Wine and build/install it before writing your
    own program.

Ron

Wolfgang Rapp

Hi
have a look to www.c-pec.net before you start writing your own linux solution

Bye Wolfgang

Rons

Hi,
   Would have liked to try it but cpec does not completely build:

"struct KProgress" undefined.

Andy Ayre

Sorry, but discussion of cpec is off topic for this forum. If you like you can swap Email addresses to discuss it further. Thanks!

kirti wanjale

Thanks Andrew for immediate reply. I will try that wine option. But before that i have some more problems. As I am novice to this in-system programming concept. Is this 89C51rd2 works properly? becaz  there are so many queries on forum regarding same. One important thing is that i am not getting the proper debugger for 89c51rd2 microcontroller on Linux platform. So could you suggets some solution for this as early as possible. Becaz my whole project struct at the same problem. So please please help me. Waiting for reply.
Kirti

kirti wanjale

Thanks Andrew for immediate reply. I will try that wine option. But before that i have some more problems. As I am novice to this in-system programming concept. Is this 89C51rd2 works properly? becaz  there are so many queries on forum regarding same. One important thing is that i am not getting the proper debugger for 89c51rd2 microcontroller on Linux platform. So could you suggets some solution for this as early as possible. Becaz my whole project struct at the same problem. So please please help me. Waiting for reply.
Kirti

erikm

Is this 89C51rd2 works properly? becaz there are so many queries on forum regarding same
The Rd2 works just beautifully IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES.  If youn read closer
, you will see that the queastions are "Why will the RD23 not work without a supervisor", "why will the RD2 not work when I do not pull pin x high" etc.

Anyhoe, if you include NoTouch and "the backdoor" you can break all the rules (except for the first load) and still run.

Erik

Andy Ayre

If you are having problems using your RD2 with Linux, then I suggest you try it with Flash Magic on a PC and get back to me with any remaining problems. We cannot support Linux environments at this time.