Main Menu

FlashMagic With USB

Started by MiquelM, May 31, 2004, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiquelM

Can You Help me?

I need to use the FlashMagic with a computer without a RS232 but a USB to RS232 converter.

The FlashMagic can't detect the simulated Rs232.
     Could exist any solution?
     thanks

Andy Ayre

First you need to check that your PC is seeing your converter as a regular COM port. Go to the device manager (or System) in Control Panel and look under Ports. Make sure your new COM port is listed and note the number (it might not be a number you expect).

Select that com port in Flash Magic or type it into the box, e.g. "COM 5".

If you don't have a COM port appearing in the Device Manager then check with the manufacturer of your converter. You need it to appear before you can use Flash Magic with it.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Jeffrey Chang

As you known, most notebook computers do not support RS-232C
interface anymore. It is trend ! Why does not Philips Semiconductors
develop USB-based ISP kit instead of RS-232C interface one ?

Frankly speaking, the USB-based I2C adapter should be also considered
to develop.

If Philips Semiconductors does not do it, can we do it by ourselves ?
I think TI TUSB3210 is suitable to the application since it contains
hardware I2C/USB interface.

erikm

>>Frankly speaking, the USB-based I2C adapter should be also considered
to develop.<<

Although off topic, I'll respond

Cypress is just about to release (I'm alpha) a SPI to USB host software running on the $5 CY7C67300.

I do not know the TIUSB3210, but is it a host or a slave, must USB processors are slave only.

Erik

Andy Ayre

Many people want ISP in their products but they don't want the complexity and cost of USB and all the additional circuitry. Microcontroller vendors like Philips want to product devices that require the minimum of external parts to keep their customer costs down. SO with this in mind:

You can write your own I2C bootloader if you wish. Most Philips devices can do this - just point the Boot Vector to your boot loader. However, only do that if you know what you are doing.

The likely reason why Philips does not use an I2C bootloader is because I2C is not present on all devices - it is not part of the "core" 8051 peripherals like the UART is.

The likely reason why Philips does not use a USB bootloader on the devices is because it is expensive to integrate on all devices. Many are very cost sensitive.

The reason why the UART is often a good choice for bootloaders is because anyone can use it with a simple terminal program.

You can buy USB to RS232 cables that work just fine by the way, so really this problem has already been solved.

Patrik Brou

I have an MCB 900 board and i have connected it to the usb port of my laptop. Unfortunately my pc does not have com ports. The FlashMagic cannot recognize the board  and i cannot download my program to the board. Is there any solution for that?
Thank you very much

Andy Ayre

You need an RS232 to USB cable as described earlier in this thread.