Programming LPC932 via ISP

Started by Artur Boebel, June 23, 2005, 04:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artur Boebel

Hi,

I need to use the LPC932 for my diploma - examination (at Philips Medical Systems DMC GmbH, Germany)

I try to find a simple way to program it (I use the Keil

Jan Waclawek

> I need to use the LPC932

There are two versions of it, LPC932 and LPC932A1. Can you be please more specific which one are you using?

> I downloaded and installed the FlashMagic software,
> with witch I am only able to program the device once,
> but not a second time.

You have probably set the status bit to 0 (I think FlashMagic does this by default) so the processor now starts your application rather than the bootloader code.
Other things you could do wrong is to erase the bootloader (which is located at the last 512 bytes of the device) or to change the boot vector; but FlashMagic explicitly warns not to do any one of these.

Can you recall the steps you did while programming the device?

> I have read, that there is a special software patch
> need to be included to my sourcecode witch provides
> re-programming in ISP mode.

This is the most convenient way and it has several options. See the recent discussion here.
http://www.esacademy.com/software/flashmagic/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2103&t=2103
But for the device you already programmed, it is now late to do it...

Another option is to build the circuit needed to produce the 3-pulse reset (that one you are mentioning above); that needs no modification to the application.

And, of course, if you have LPC932A1, you can resort to the ICP method (that needs some sort of a "bridge" or a dedicated programmer), or even to parallel programming.

> Why is all this documentation I can find not really complete?
> Why is it all made so complicated to do that simple programming
> operation???

Well, this question should really go to Philips... But wait, this is in a short term the second request/complaint from somebody related to Philips...
http://www.esacademy.com/software/flashmagic/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2037&t=2037
Although I understand you are a student, and Philips is a big concern, I still somehow feel you should get more help somwhere from inside...

Jan Waclawek

Artur Boebel

> There are two versions of it, LPC932 and LPC932A1. Can you be please > more specific which one are you using?

It is the 89LPC932BA (Revision G), but I have also a small numbers of the newer A1 (Rev. A), these I have still not tried (to prevent to "damage" them the same way)

Now I found the bug, it was in my adapter circuit: The three pulses were not be valid at the RESET-pin, now they are and the FlashMagic software can communicate with the controller.

- So I dont need to modify my software.

Thanks for the fast answer.

Artur

Jan Waclawek

Well, you don't _need_ to modify the software, but you may _want_ to do it. It takes as little as setting one SFR bit to enable the bootloader entry by "sending" a break over the serial line. Implementing it, your programming hardware reduces to the serial cable (and the level converter), reducing the possibility of  similar error you did.

Many success with your diploma work!

Jan Waclawek