89C51RD2 is not ready to enter in ISP

Started by ketan, January 18, 2004, 03:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ketan

Hi,

I have programmed the chip (89C51RD2) twice in ISP mode.
But after that I erased the boot Vector & status byte to 00Hex. So now even if I force by hardware to ISP mode, The device is not ready to listen.
And it start executing the code from 0Hex.

I think the problem should get solved by reprogramming the Boot Vector.
(Pl. reply faster)
Please advice.
Thank You.
Ketan.

Andy Ayre

Assuming the code you programmed does not provide a method for entering ISP mode, then the only solution is to use a parallel programmer to program the Boot Vector back to FCH. Sorry.

Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

Peter

I have use a parallel programmer to programe the boot Vector back to FCH.

But , it still can't work?

peter

Andy Ayre

What do you mean program the Boot Vector BACK to FCH? You mean it wasn't FCH? What was it?

biker

Hi Andrew, I have a question for you.
I had the same problem as Ketan. I programmed the chip (89C51RD2BA)
once in ISP mode, but I think I erased the Boot Vector and status bytes
since I selected "Erase all Flash+Secutity+Clks" button box first time, and now I can't program it again.  The alert window says "Unable to read the security bits and clock bits...." and other win says " Error verifying.  There is a difference in the Hex file value and the stored value".  

Comment 1:  How I can reprogram by paralell mode the chip? (soft and        hardware).

Comment 2:  The next time if I want to program the chip I should not mark
       "Erase all Flash+Secutity+Clks" button box.  Which steps I
        should take for good programming ISP mode with Flash Magic         soft.

Help me, please!

Andy Ayre

Erasing all the flash and security bits will not affect the Boot Vector, unless you interrupted the erase at some point. So, normally, it is perfectly fine to use that option. Explicity changing the Boot Vector to a non-default value in Flash Magic always requires confirmation.

For parallel programming you need to purchase a parallel programmer that supports the device.

Can you do anything with the device now? Do some things work or does nothing work?

erik malund

For parallel programming you need to purchase a parallel programmer that supports the device.

If it is one chip only and you have a friendly Philips FAE in the neighborhood, you can probably get him to do it.

I do not understand why so many gladly walk down the garden path instead of installing NoTouch/TheBackdoor.  In addition to making it super safe it allows you to make your board without any regard for "funny levels at reset" sincfe the fr5esh chips are already in ISP mode.

Erik

biker

In this moment I can't do anything. I need to reprogram the device but in the moment I start up Flash Magic appear this message:
-(bottom )Attemp to connect...
-Win allert:
"Unable to read the securite bits and clocks bit. The security bit and 6 clks/cycle checkboxes may not reflect the actual setting on the device. To read the security bits and clocks bit connect the device to the select COM port and place it into BOOTROM mode then click on the Retry button..."
Then I select "cancel" and select 5) Start with the last configuration and appear follow message:
"Unable to connect at the specified baud rate. Try reducing the baud rate. Reset the hardware into ISP mode again" but with less baud rate I can't connect neither.
I'm sure that COM port is OK cause I can reprogram other devices (P89C51RC+) without problem, but with P89C51RD2 I can't do it.

ahhhhhh!!!

Andy Ayre

Did you implement the reset workaround on the errata sheet for the RD2BA?

biker

Ok I solved the problem. The solution was in the errata datasheet (FIG 2), but I make a change cause the circuit RC put a high input in Vpp pin, then I proved R=33k3 and C= 1uF and is OK.

Thank for all.

biker

Sorry Workaround number 2, but the fig is number one

sachin gole

hi,

I have problems for programming 89C51RD2 in ISP mode with serial port using max232.
I had done all connection which is given in datasheet.
then it gives unable to connect.

Please send me solution as early as possible.
Thank You.
Ketan.

Andy Ayre

Sachin/Ketan - I deleted your duplicate post.

I need some very basic information:

Which device are you using? P89C51RD2xx or P89C51RD2Hxx?
What baud rate are you using?
What crystal frequency are you using?
What are the voltages on /PSEN, /EA during reset?

If you are using the P89C51RD2Hxx then are you letting P2.6 and P2.7 float or pull them high during reset?

If you are using the P89C51RD2xx then have you implemented to reset workaround on the errata sheet?

erikm

Why not just include NoTouch and possibly 'the backdoor'.  That is better thanh aspirin.

Erik

Ajit

Dear Sir,

V r using 89C51rd2bn IC. While communicating ISP twice it didn't give any problems but now it giving the message "Attempting to communicate".

The same problem v had faced while doing a isp for 89C668 controller although the problem for that have been solved now. How i didn't know.

But for Rd2 v still facing a problem.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanking you,

Ajit