not programming under windows 10

Started by microflechs, January 19, 2017, 01:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

microflechs

using Flash Magic 10.01 under Windows 10 64BIT version delivers : Operation failed. (Programming - failed to send data to the device). Connection to Board, erase of device possible without any Problems. Programming starts but delivers upper message. Tried with internal RS232 (PCI express card) and via USB to RS232 converter with same result. Under Windows XP it's working with internal RS232 and with same USB to Rs232 converter.
PC is: DELL Optiplex 3020, RS232 card is:  SIONIC  OXPCIe95x (CH38), USB to RS232 converter is:  Profilec USB to serial.  Windows is: WIN 10 pro 64bit with latest updates.
I also tried other UB to Rs232 converter and other flash magic versions, always with same result: Windows XP working, windows 10: connection and erase possible programming not ( always same error message).
I checked the discussion forum. Find similar problems. Problems was always solved with newer flash magic version. Used newest one.
Test using a second PC with windows 10 deliver ssame result (Programming - failed to send data to the device)

Andy Ayre

Hi,

Please generate and post a debug file. Instructions are here: http://www.flashmagictool.com/debugfile.html

Andy
Embedded Systems Academy, Inc.
support at esacademy dot com

microflechs

hello,

created debug file (flashmagic-20170121-124833.fmd ) but did not find a way to add it as an attachment to this post

Andy Ayre

Send to the email address show in Help -> About, referencing this topic.

microflechs

Hi Andy,

first as a summary:  It's working now.

History:

1.) PC 1:   PC with  WIN XP,  with internal RS232 , several USB connectors on keyboard
2.) PC 2:    PC with  WIN 10,  with internal RS232 SIONIC  OXPCIe95x (CH38), several USB connectors
3.) PC 3:   PC with  WIN 10,  no internal RS232, two USB connectors
4.) USB to RS232 Adapter Type 1:  RS 550-170  (Profilec Driver: 3.8.3.0 under Windows 10)
5.) USB to RS232 Adapter Type 2:  RS 514-0844 ( Roline / ASIX  Treiber 1.18.12.0)

6.) Always using same board with LPC1788 , always using same RS232 cable

7.) Using PC1   its was always working (also before I wrote the ticket) using internal RS232 or USB to RS232 adapter Type 1 or adapter Type 2

8.) When I wrote the ticket it's not working with PC 2 and PC 3 (using internal RS232 or UBB to RS232 adapter type 1 or 2)
always delivers: Operation Failed (Programming - failed to send data to the device)

9.) With your help:

Set "use my Line Feed Settings"  to true   and
set "Send Line Feeds"            to true   and
set "Expect Line Feeds           to true    ( checkmark set for all three )

it's working  on PC2 and PC 3   using   USB to RS232 adpater 1  or 2

Other settings delivers failure

10.) Use the same settings

using PC2 and the internal RS232 the programming starts but on a different points ends with :"Unable to communicate (Transmit/Receive)"

Now I modified the settings of the internal RS232
System Settings >> Device Manager >> COM 2 >> Properties>>  Port Settings >> Advanced Settings:

Set "Use FiFo buffers" to true ( checkmark set)
set "Receive Buffer" to 224 ( = maximum value)
set "Transmit Buffer" to 256 ( = maximum value)
Restart PC!

Now programming is always successful but the verification always delivers "Unable to communicate (Transmit/Receive)"

Setting now back:
Set "use my Line Feed Settings"  to false  ( checkmark not set)
Now programming and verification works  on PC2 and internal RS232.

11.) Conclusion:

11.a)
Using Windows 10   with external USB to RS232 converter needs:

11.b)
Using Windows 10   with internal RS232:
Set "use my Line Feed Settings"  to false 
And RS232 Device settings:
Set "Use FiFo buffers" to true ( checkmark set)
set "Receive Buffer" to 224 ( = maximum value)
set "Transmit Buffer" to 256 ( = maximum value)

Thanks a lot for help!

I copied this Information also to the ticket, you may add additional information to the ticket if you like.
Ticket can be marked as solved.

Kind Regards
Richard

Andy Ayre

Richard,

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis. When there are problems suspected with RS232 drivers, cables, Windows settings it comes down to the user having to try things and often people contact us expecting us to just be able to fix it for them without any information or any further help from them. With the information you have posted others can now try the same settings on their PCs if they run into a problem like this.

Andy